Low cost or free school loans for low income people- Fair?

This was on another post and it got me thinking. If education is the great equalizer- ie- if you get your RN you will make about the same as others with an RN- is it fair that lower income people do not have to pay their loans or grants back while others have to? If the payments are not due until after graduation-don't you have the same ability to pay your loans as anyone else? Why is higher education free for some and not for others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No its not fair. Its like being punished for having money. Student loans are expensive. Most college students graduate already in debt because they have so much money in student loans to pay back. Not to mention many of them don't find jobs right away. So how is that fair that the lower income students don't have to worry about paying those loans back but the higher income students do? Both students could equally have a hard time finding a job after graduation but 1 does not have debt and the other does? Not fair at all. I agree that everyone should have a chance to get some kind of a loan to go to college, and maybe have different regulations based on income as to when the loans need to be paid back, etc...but to completely free someone of their debt is unfair and ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• No.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Just another part of social justice. Enjoy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If you're not considered low income before you earn a degree as an RN, do you feel privileged for it? That income prior to earning the degree still counts, especially if you're married.

I'd rather be capable of paying my loans off as an adult than have to rely on being labeled poor and in need of help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• So should people who's parents can't afford to help them pay for school not have the same opportunities as others?

Should I not use the pell grant to pay for my RN classes, because I am an LPN, and a single mom with no help barley making ends meet?

ugh
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think everyone should have equal ACCESS to loans regardless of income- but I think everyone should have to pay back their loans no matter what their income bracket was prior to getting an education. I agree, if education levels the playing field- you have just as much ability to pay back your loan after graduation as anyone else.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• IMO~It should be low interest loans, that need to be paid back. But not free.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• What are you talking about? Student loans no matter what, regardless of if I have a great job or a crappy job once I graduate. They are only forgiven in the most extreme circumstances- like death or disability. And grants don't have to be repaid regardless of who is receiving it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I'm anon :41, sorry for that mistake

that should read they have to be repaid no matter what. If you're still low income you might get lower payments but that just means it'll take longer to get out from under them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• ANON- have you applied for loans or grants? There are more low cost loans and free grants for low income people than middle income people. Why is that? Why would low income people be entitled to more low cost loans or free grants than others? Why does your current income come into play?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2010