Another state votes to exempt residence from being forced by the federal government to participate in health care plan. Your thoughts?

The Virginia State Senate voted today 23-17 to add a provision to the Virginia State Code that would exempt Virginians from being forced by the federal government to participate in any health care plan. Furthermore, the provision exempts Virginians from having to pay a fine or fee for not participating.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=101&typ=bil&val=sb417

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good....if I dont want insurance that is MY RIGHT AS A HUMAN BEING.....I am hurting no one but myself so it should NOT be federally regulated! Period!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I dont nessisarly agree with all the health care plan stuff, nor have I honestly investigated it thourougly, BUT I think it has to be all or nothing. If VA residents dont have to pay a fine for not participating, but their neigbors in MD just a few miles away do , that just seems nuts
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No it doesnt Tennessee resident were not mandated to have car insurance until about 6 or 7 yrs ago.Now it is law here too but up until then it was not.I am not trying to compare health insurance to vehicle insurance because I think its ridiculous but just saying it was mandatory to have in some states but not other for many years.

I love this move and hope TN would do the same if this particular bill making it mandatory goes through...the whole damn thing is stupid and being taxed for 4 yrs before any of it takes effect is taxation without representation
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Everyone moving to Virginia?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I might move to Virginia if I were a person who wanted the right to not carry health insurance.

Right now we are very fortunate to have wonderful BC BS provided by my husbands work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It's un Constitutional to require people to pay for the heath care plan. Everything about the plan is wrong. I think it's great that Virginia is saying No. I hope more states do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• LOL Carpy. 34 states, I believe are doing (or have already) done this.. I think it sends A CLEAR MESSAGE to Obama, Ried, and Pelosi.... Funny thing, they don't get clear messages to well...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Grly do you happen to know of a list of the 34 states?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Lawmakers in 35 states have filed or proposed amendments to their state constitutions or statutes rejecting health insurance mandates, according to the American Legislative Exchange Council, a nonprofit group that promotes limited government that is helping coordinate the efforts. Many of those proposals are targeted for the November ballot, assuring that health care remains a hot topic as hundreds of federal and state lawmakers face re-election

Opps 35 states

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Here is what I have so far~Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and Utah—have publicly announced their intentions to file the legislation.

A citizen initiative has also been announced in Colorado.

Arizona’s measure, which passed the legislature last June, will be put before voters there on the November ballot.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2010