Question for moms of only 1 child?

My son is just over a year old, and i love him more than anything in this world but i am pretty sure we will not have another. He was not a good baby and i don't think i have slept since before he was born, and i don;t think i can do it again. I just wondered what made you decide to only have one and if you ever feel bad that they don't have a sibling.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• well,he has autism.I can't imagine dealing with another kid on top of dealing with him! Also,we thought what if the next one has it too........shudder!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my DS is 4 and we are 95% sure that he will be an only. I don't feel bad because I feel I can devote all of my time and attention to him
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my son isl ike yours he still does not sleep through the night and he is 14 months.we knew before he was born we wanted an only.im glad we can provide so much for him like international vacations yearly and a college fund and with two kidswe could not do it. just be prepared for people to say stuff ALL the time my hairdresser who is 19 with no kids was griping at me about having one. when she had NO clue how hard it is with him.
    yoshiwife

Answer by yoshiwife at 10:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We still want another one, but are waiting until we settle our lives outside the army. DH wants out (he joined right after we found out i was pregnant). We both figure it's better to not add an addition when we have no idea what is going to happen when he gets out and don't want to try adding the stress of another baby just yet. Not to mention, we have to be able to afford them (our max is 3 only if #2 is a twin!) If it doesn't happen in the next couple years, we will be done as well just because we don't want our kids to be more than 5 years apart in age.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• SO and I are happy with one child for now. Our budget is tight, but we can get buy with one child. It would be difficult financially with 2. But I would like ds to have a sibling oneday. My sister is everything to me and I'd love ds to experience that. But having a child at all is a blessing in itself. So if we dont have another baby, thats ok! We have him :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• well, I think I birthed the hardest non medically challenged baby on the planet.. he had colic so bad that I KNOW i couldn't do it again. We tried to have a baby for 3 years and our "dreams" or fantasies I should say were shattered...lol!! He never slept, he creid all the time, he had troubles eating, he had/has chronic constipation which ended up with him crying more... I could go on and on.. He turned 2 in Nov and since his brithday I finally feel like I actually LOVE being a mother. Of course I loved him since I found out I was pregnant but.... there were months I wanted to run away, without the support of my Mom and well, even my husband although we fought often at first from lack of sleep and total frustration, I would never have made it.. I felt crazy for a long while! we dreamt of 2 kids but, well, you know how some people with more than 1 say Wow, if I had this child first, he'd have been our last..I had my last first
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Also, if it makes you feel better, my son HATES To sleep.. he went through a good 6 months sleeping through the night and its been over 2 months now of him waking 2-3 times or more...I feel you mama... if you want to chat/vent./support anytime just email me.. I know it gets overwhelming
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think you have to go with what you feel and are going through right now. However, life and things change....not to mention baby's grow....so you might have a different view in a few months or a few years. Either way, I think its great!

I have a dd who will be 5 in April and I don't plan to have anymore children. I know my limits! LOL! I don't have a whole lot of patience, if any! And I love just having one. I might not always feel that way, but I do right now. It just works for us.
    AngelaKeeling

Answer by AngelaKeeling at 12:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We have a 3 year old and she might be our only one. My husband is younger than me (i'm 27, he's 24) and he's ready to get the snippy snippy. I'm not quite at that point where I'm 100% sure I do not want anymore children, but he is. We love her with all our might but I like the idea of giving this one child 100% of my attention and focusing on her future. Plus I feel like we had her young and would like to be able to enjoy our future as well. When their this little there's only so much you can do (she's a handful anyway!) Plus I'm the type of mom who is independent and introverted, I don't need a big family or lots of people around me, I'm pretty quiet. We'll see what the future holds tho!
    HaileyCass

Answer by HaileyCass at 1:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We have a 5 year old girl who was a dream baby...slept through the night at 7 months and have ever since..potty training was easy. I'm sure if I had another it would be the complete opposite. My hubby and I decided when we got married that we would only have one child. I couldn't afford two and I do feel guilty at times that she doesn't have a sibling but she has friends and can entertain herself quite well when she needs to.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010