How do I come out of the closet? I am an atheist.

My dear friend brought me a sermon from her church to listen to, and I realize now that I need to be honest with her and tell her I am an atheist. I don't want to loose her as a friend but she is a devote Christian and I know this is something she will have a problem with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no easy way...if it's something that is important to you and is something that you want her to know then you just have to bite the bullet and tell her... What she does with that info is up to her and you have no barring on that... She can't change you just like you can't change her. I wish you luck.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Honey God loves you whether you believe in him or not. Jesus died on the cross for you and he will always love you. Your friend knows the truth and is wanting to share it with you, but you do have a right to chose. God will never force you to love him, but all you have to do is ask him to come into your heart and you will know the truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If she is your friend she will not mind.
    libbykate

Answer by libbykate at 2:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• if she is a true friend she will stay friends with you but jesus loves no matter what..just be ready when he comes..because if you do not believe..sorry sweetie..you are not going with him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• imagine that, the anonymous posters basically telling you that you are going to hell....sheesh.
    phazed.0ut

Answer by phazed.0ut at 5:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I would just say "I appreciate you passing on the sermon but I wanted to let you know that I'm atheist. I hope you can respect my beliefs they way I've respected yours."

And no, I'm not surprised that an anon poster mentioned going to hell either. It's like they can't help themselves. *eye roll*
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If your friend is a Christian she will accept you for your beliefs. She will also continue to pray for you.
    mrschrono

Answer by mrschrono at 8:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• A true friend and someone who truly follows the teachings of God (Christian means to be Christ-like!) would not let this hinder your close friendship. I would just sit down with her and explain things to her. Tell her that you hope that she can understand and that you aren't necessarily anti-Christian (if you were then you wouldn't be her friend now would ya? lol) but that it's just not your path. If she throws a fit then honestly I would reconsider what kind of friend she is. I'm a very devout Christian and I would never EVER stop being friends with someone because of their religion. I have friends that are from every walk of life and I can't imagine shunning them for their beliefs.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• A good friend would accept you as an athiest. I believe there are a LOT more athiests in this country than admit to being an athiest, it is still unacceptable in this country which has turned more conservative under the Bush regime
    LilDi

Answer by LilDi at 11:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If she is your friend, she will love you still and accept the difference in beliefs. Ask her from that moment to respect your beliefs and to not attempt to change you. You will take it as a confirmation that she is your friend and accepts you for who you are. I realized I wasn't accepting my brother for who he was. I wanted the best for him but it was what was best for me. Once I realized I was behaving that way toward him, I stopped pushing my beliefs on him. I loved him and respected his wishes.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2008