One of her punishments was taking away her eye makeup... so...

My 13 yo. DD has been making the wrong choices lately.. well one of the many things she has lost is her eye makeup (this was yesterday)
Well, I think she may have brought it to school with her this morning!!! I went to look in her makeup case and it was hidden stuffed under her bed and locked!! I got it opened and all her makeup was gone!!!!
What would you do?
(Bye the way she has some acne so I let her put her foundation on)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh man... I'm sure she deserves a consequece for whatever she did, but it just kinda made me turn a tad sideways when I read that her makeup was taken as the consequence. Just remember how awkward it was being a teen and trying to fit in w/ friends. As a young girl she's probably feeling like an alien in her own body and a little make up can be just enough confidence to make her feel close to normal. Anyway, she'd probably just get one of her friends to bring some to school and then she's at risk for hepetitis, pink eye, and other disease. I guess, I would focus more on finding a consequence that would really rattle her nerves. I would think that teens most treasured priveleges are cell phones, freedom (ground her), and spending money/new clothes. So, for being dishonest about the make up, I would ground her, take the phone priveleges and put her allowance in a savings account. JMO. Good luck. Not judging, just suggesting!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• when she gets home all of the makeup goes into your posession....
    and there should be an additional punishment
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• throw it all in the trash.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Why is she wearing makeup? If it is for self esteem issues then taking the makeup may not be a good thing in the first place. I don't know what kind of bad choices she's making but I'd try to gear the punishment toward the choices. Make the punishment fit the crime so to speak. If they work around the punishment then it's not being effective. Think of something else. Even if she didn't take her own she'd use someone else's which is not healthy.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• me? i would remove her door off its hinges, and strip her room CLEAN down to bare essentials and 2 sets of her UGLIEST clothes. then stash it all somewhere where she wont know you kept it.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Take it away so she can't use it. Don't just say she can't.
    Anonymous

• When you take it away, you put it out of site and out of reach of them. Somewhere, where they don't know where it even is. That way when they lose privliages they can't sneak it back from you. Like a PP said, take it away completely, just don't say she can't.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• IF that is what you chose as a punishment, you must remove the item from her possession. Don't just tell her she can't use it and leave it where she can see it. Personally, at the age of your daughter, self-esteem issues are so common that I would not take makeup away from her. Same with the "ugly clothes' poster. I would take cell phone, television, computer, radio, mp3 player, cds, etc. But something that helps boost self-esteem and self- confidence in a 13 yr old girl in middle school where the girls are crueler than cruel....no.
    Anonymous

• thank you so much for all your thoughts and suggestions.. I really appreciate it!
    Anonymous