13 month old and night time bottle.......need to get rid of it

how do I get her off the night time bottle.....we have alot of trouble getting her to sleep without it........

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • Are you using sippy cups with her during the day? If so, I'd just switch the bottle of for a sippy cup. That's what we did. It takes about a week or so for them to get used to but then they're fine. I also gave my kids their cups about an hour before bedtime, that way it was gone before they got to bed.

Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• when my dd was at that age ( sheis 12 now ) she went to bed one night with her bubbie and woke up with it gone. i went in took that one plus got rid of all of her bubbies threw them out, didnt leave one in the house. so no temptation on my part..first 2 nights were rough she wanted her bubbie and i said no the bubbie fairy came and took them to help other lil babys..she di cry and screamed the first night...and fell alseep after 3 hours..2nd night less screaming but again fell asleep after 3 hours.. 3rd night right to bed didnt even ask for her bubbie..after that was smooth sailing. i didnt cave and i didnt give up.stick with it.. its better for u and your lil girl.it jus takes time...and mama remeber to breath......and see the light at the end. best of luck. xo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• imo- what's the hurry? I had a child that used it at night until 3-4 . still no fillings or cavities, she is 14 and it made no difference. she is still a baby- don't fight it.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• In that aspect....She doesn't NEED it anymore....if she is drinking milk just fine there is no reason for a bottle......Yes she does use a sippy cup...has since she was 5 months. She will drink milk til 2 mins b4 she walks to bed.......So NO NEED for a bottle...it is just habit for her now and I want to break it........I Am NOT knocking anyone for their choices in what they do with their chicldren especially CHEFJEN.........but I refuse to have a child walking around at 2 with a bink (pacifier) or a bottle....not how I want to do things.........again...not trying to offend anyone for their choices this is just my choice.
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• With my daughter (who is now 5), I breastfed her and she never took to the bottle so I didn't have to go through the bottle breaking. However, when she was 11 mos old I quit breastfeeding cold turkey and she went straight to a sippy cup after a week of hell (she wanted to nurse so bad). My problem was she went to bed with the sippy cup. It had milk in it and we are cosleepers so I wasn't very happy about it but @ least she wasn't crying for the breast anymore. When she turned 2 I decided it was time to stop letting her take it to bed. I started adding water to the milk a little bit at a time until after 2 weeks it was nothing but water in the sippy cup. As I was doing this, I also put less and less liquid in it altogether until she was taking an empty sippy cup to bed and at that point I just took it away. From then on she soothed herself to sleep by playing with my hands (she still does it when she is super tired).
    MilMom04

Answer by MilMom04 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2010