my 13 yr old daughter never invites friends over and she never goes to their house

we are new to area - been here almost a year - she has friends, that she talks about but when the weekend comes she never goes out with them and never gets calls to hang with them. she tells me she does ask but that they are always busy. I feel bad - she gets stuck playing with her 5 yr old sister all weekend - is this ok or should i be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• weel, mine is 14 and we have lived here a long time. maybe they are just like that??? I don't know, but she is not alone like that anyway! Me too!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• kids are fickle at that age. just keep the lines of communication open with her. so that if she is hurt by this you are there for her
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Maybe you should take her places to get the opportunity to hang with others. Do kids hang at the mall anymore? Maybe a skating rink? I didn't invite anyone to my home as a teen (my mom wouldn't allow it) but I went out and socialized at the bowling ally or skating rink, etc. I even made plans to meet them downtown to shop. Wow, that tells my age ,huh?

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It could be totally innocent, I wouldn't read too much into it. I would have her plan something in advance. That way she can snag a weekend that they aren't busy. If they blow her off, then it may be something more. Until you know otherwise it's probably something totally innocent.

When I was a teenager it was always me going over to other people's house, because I was bored of my own.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It depends on where you live. Where I live, the kids are so over scheduled that most of them don't have any freetime over the weekends to do anything with friends. They have lessons, games, performances, etc.
    Anonymous

• i like her already :) whats her email :D
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Answer by ummmmmmmmmmmmmm at 9:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2010