Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get full custody of my daughter?

I want to know how do I get full custody of my daughter without putting the father on child support? I want him to be able to see her and spend time with her but I don't want him thinking he can take her any time and keep her for however long he wants. I don't like the friends he hangs around and they smoke weed, gamble, and drink and I don't want my baby girl around that but I do want him spending time and I don't want to put him on child support unless he shows that he's not doing anything for her like getting her diapers and wipes and paying for her medicine because she's going to be on my insurance so that's the least he can do. Help! I'm worried about this. What are my rights? He's signing her birth certificate when she's born. He demands to so I don't know what to do.


Asked by penguinbabe44 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Get with a attorney as soon as possible, that they can start working on a case for you. Describe to your attorney the concerns you have for your child's safety and that's the reason why your wanting to go to court to seek out full custody. Let them know all the details of the baby's father, even including that he left you for another women, showing the uncertainty of him wanting to be in the child's life. They will do the investigating for you, trust me everything will be fine. Usually they rule in favor of the mother.

    Answer by jennmlee at 2:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • you seeem very very confused. you cannot have the cake the pie AND the pudding here.
    Unless he is a detriment to her well being, you are unlikely to get full custody.
    if he is NOT helping in her support for goodness sake why would not NOT want him to be orderd to support her?
    your RIGHTs are joint custody. and a right to a court order of child support

    if you didnt WANT all these things with him why the hck did you got and get preggers by him? did you think it would CHANGE him or something/?

    Answer by sati769leigh at 10:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • i have to agree with sati769------- if he isent a danger to the soon to be baby ur up on shits creek. if u say to him u cant see baby unless u dont hang out with so and so or do this or that he culd just go t court himself and eaither fight for custody ( dosent happen offten ) or visitation rights. and if YOU screw up visatation rights your in trouble. unless u can prove this is harmful to your child. my x was an idiot he drank he gambled played vidio games till 5 am...but when he had his dd he was agood boy. and iknew that and i trusted him. now as for childsuport u really should have it done it will help out or u can put it in an account fo your child. dont be the kind of women who says i wont go for suport then a year later cry because u dont have money for diapers and u are bashing the father when it was your choice not to go for suport. your childs meds and copays for insurence is the child suport. along with formula.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • I agree with the other posts. I think I remember your previous questions. Maybe you're going after full custody b/c he hurt you? I don't know b/c I'm not you but just following your previous questions. You know he's not going to be a danger to your child. if you are afraid that he will want to pick her up randomly the set up a visitation schedule yourself or get it done by the courts. If you don't want child support because you know you can take care of your little one by yourself then don't do it. I'm not in the business making a man pay for his own flesh and blood. but if you are expecting him to help and you just don't want to do CS then you might as well go down to the courts and file b/c trust, there will be a time where he starts to say he doesn't have it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Well of course I know I can't tell him not to hang out with someone but they are on drugs what the hell? I know for sure that my ex smokes weed and no it's not to get him back because he hurt me if that were the case I would tell him to kiss my ass and put him on CS right away and not even give him a chance. But I do understand what you're saying about the visitation, I just don't think he is capable of handling her on his own and it scares me. But I probably should go ahead and start the case to be on the safe side. I just rather him not be alone with her because I can't trust him. I've seen what he does with his friends and I just don't want the cops one day coming to his house and they bust them with weed and my daughter is lost forever. Know what I'm saying?

    Answer by penguinbabe44 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Yes you CAN get full custody. Just talk with an attorney (you can go to Legal Aid if money is an issue) and tell them of your concerns about his behavior. Tell them you want supervised visitation for him and DO get child support. The child deserves to be respected by him providing his part for the child's care. Put it in the bank if you don't need it but take it so the child doesn't grow up thinking he didn't care enough to even pay cs. He doesn't get special consideration just bc he pays cs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • You need to file a parenting plan with the county, that will lay out what times/pick ups/drop offs/summer and school schedules as well as holiday schedules. I don't recommend doing this on your own unless you are a VERY good researcher. You will likely need an attorney to point out any areas you might have missed. My parenting plan is over 16 pages long.

    Answer by elleinad at 11:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010