My SIL went to the OBGYN yesterday and had her membranes stripped. About how much longer should she have before she goes into labor?

Of course, I know no one can give an exact time. We're just curious about a guestimate. She's 40 weeks and 2 days. She's had a really rough pregnancy. She vomits every day and is really miserable.

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• there is no guesstimate. none at all. an EDD (estimated due date) is just that, and can EASILY be 2-3 weeks off, and usually is unless you know the EXACT date of conception. The 42 week rule is there for those that KNOW when they conceived, but it is not unhealthy or risky for a mother or fetus to go past 42 weeks so long as there are no signs of placental abruption (separating from the womb before birth), preeclampsia, or fetal distress (low heart rate). The 42 week "rule" is just a suggested guideline that physicians use to prevent ANY potential liability, and often induce women who would have otherwise labored naturally if they were willing to wait. there is no law that states that you have to have an induction if you go beyond 42 weeks, and in fact it is MORE dangerous to induce.

I know how miserable she is, I have had massive dental issues because of how sick I was while pregnant, but she is in the FINAL stretch. Soon ;)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• no way of knowing, I had mine stripped twice and never went into labor on my own
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my sister had hers stripped with her first and went a few days later. she had it done with her second and it was a few weeks before she had her!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2010