My husband is joining the active army and he is 34. I know we will be around a lot of younger couples and wonder if anyone has any experiences or advice. I myself am 30 and definitely past the highschool bs, am I going to find myself in the middle of highschool again? lol

MarshMeli79

Asked by MarshMeli79 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Yeah the cutoff age has been raised for quite a few years now. and YES you are going to be around tons of drama IF you live on Post.. because You are going to be in housing with E1-E4 and they are usually teens-early 20's. My husband has been in 20 years and we got stuck ( temporarily) in E6 housing and that was drama for us ! ( dh is an E8)... I definitely would not want to live in the lower enlisted housing. So my advice? Stick to off post living, continue doing what "you do" and let him do his job ( which isn't going to be easy, his superiors are going to be younger than him and have more rank!)
    Anonymous

• I haven't run into that. There are bad apples everywhere though. Just trust your instinct with people.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Are you sure he can enlist? Last I heard the cut-off age was 28.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• The cut off age is 42 for the army. Yes we are sure, we already went to the recruiters and all we are waiting for is his highschool transcripts from Scotland. Then he takes his asvab and the first time he took it in his early 20s he scored a 96 out of 99. So yes they will take him. We are very excited and looking forward to serving our country. =) I thought the cut off age was younger as well but much to our surprise... it's not.
    MarshMeli79

Answer by MarshMeli79 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yeeeeah thats what I thought. lol Okay so about living off base.... I'm a bit nervous only because it will be in an area that I am completely unfamililar with. My hesitation on that is I don't want to end up in an apartment in a bad neighborhood because I didn't know. I'm trying not to focus on little things but a good safe place for your kid in a priority I think. I rememeber how I acted when I was younger so I'm not sure which is the lessor of the two evils.. bad neighborhood vs. catty young crap. I mean I'm sure there are some level headed wives out there, I just hope I find them. =)
    MarshMeli79

Answer by MarshMeli79 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010