Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?

Looking at small breeds, and wanting a fur baby (it has been a year since I had to put my baby to sleep- I think I am ready to try again) that is KNOWN for being a companion dog, and having a sweet disposition. Have any of you had the pleasure of having one in your family?

There are several small breeds that I would prefer not deal with, but this seemed the logical choice after my research. Wondering if there are any health problems that are indicative of that breed. I know there were with Pom Poms but didn't find that out until AFTER I had gotten my baby.... Just curious.

Any Other small breeds that do not shed that you would recommend? (not chihuahua!!)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Pets

• My friend has a cavalier king charles spaniel, and I will say it is the cutest, most friendly dog I've ever seen. Hyper, but great with kids and other animals. Their only problems they have had with him are problems you might have with any dog:

A) his fur is long on his legs and belly, so it gets dirty and matted easily. Frequent grooming and haircuts is a MUST.

B) he's not the brightest dog out there, and will eat anything. He LOVES to eat rocks which of course is not good for the tummy.

He loves to play, has never snapped at any of the kids, but is a good "watch dog" too. He barks very loudly whenever there is anything he thinks is a "danger" to the family or HIS house. LOL he thinks he is the king of the house :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I had a king Charles and he was so sweet, but he did get large. So when you get your pet try to meet the parents to see how big he will get and to see if the parents are angry or sweet.
    I have a peekapoo (10pound) very playful. I also have a maltese 4-pounds likes to be carried everywhere.(not good for small kids) she can get hurt very easy.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes, I have owned a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel......tri-colored. I must say, he was teh nicest, loving, caring dog I have ever owned. He was absolutely wonderful w/ my kids. They are dogs that want to please their owner, and tend to be obedient in nature. They also really enjoy being around other ppl, as well as being at home w/ someone at all times. The only issue I had was leaving him at home when he was a pup. I think he would chew the cabinet and shoes out of rebellion honestly!! :) He did not like being at home by himself at all.
    I do agree w/ poster above me, they have longer hair. Grooming is a must. My dog hardly ever barked though, in fact I thought something was wrong w/ him, but this was probably just his personality. The Vet said there isn't very many conditions that run in this breed. I would say go for it!
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 11:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I have two cavaliers-both are rescues. They are wonderful dogs and are great with the kids too. they are very friendly with everyone and pretty easy to train. The grooming is not much. I brush them once about every other day and don't have excessive shedding or a need to clip them. As far as health problems they have two MAJOR issues. They have a heart valve problem and eye problems. Almost 90% of the breed will die due to congestive heart failure at an earlier age than most other small dogs. This is something you need to be aware of when looking for a puppy. Do NOT get one from a pet store/puppymill/backyard breeder. Find a good breeder that has cardiac checks done on the parents every year-including echocardiograms. The breeder should also have the parents' eyes and knees certified by a vet. If the breeder does not have this paperwork or will not show you-go somewhere else. CONT

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• CONT-They are not by any means an easily found or cheap dog. If you find one less than $1200-1500 I would question the breeding stock. They are so expensive bc the health care and testing for the parents is not cheap. Now having said all of that......they have got to be the best dogs on earth-if you like little dogs. I have had many dogs and have a dachshund and a yorkie now as well as my two cavaliers and I absolutely LOVE cavaliers. They are very attached to their people and so can have separation anxiety if you are not home most of the day, or have another dog. They are wonderful lap dogs and so sweet and cuddly. If you have any specific questions please pm me. I know all about the breed and how to find a good breeder.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I don't know anything about them I just think they are adorable.
    Anonymous

• Cocker Spaniels are also very loving dogs.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My cousin had a Cavalier spaniel. Cute dog, very sweet, but not the brightest. =P

Cocker spaniels are great dogs too--loyal, playful, and even-tempered. I would personally look into cocker spaniels rather than Cavaliers.

My mom's friend has a miniature schnauser and he's a great little dog! Doesn't shed either. Portable, friendly, and fun.

Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010