Atheists, were you raised under any religion?

I was raised baptist... my parents didn't really go to church much and didn't actually practice thier religion at home, but they believed in god and raised me to believe it too. Later I started to question things and bacame agnostic.... after a few years of research and thought, and talking to others, religious and not, I decided to call myself Atheist.
What about you?

Chaotic_Rayne

Asked by Chaotic_Rayne at 11:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised Catholic, went to a Catholic school, all they ever cared about was raising money, then when all the priests got busted for molesting kids and the church sided with the priests, it just made me sick..I'm not a atheist maybe more of an agnostic or just a nature lover..

Anonymous

• I really wasn't 'raised' as anything meaning that neither of my parents were religious. I was put on a van from a Free Methodist church twice a week so that my mother could get rid of me and my sister for a few hours. I was raise by the people in that church as far as religious teaching goes. I also attended Catholic school off and on.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Nope.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Religion wasn't a big thing in our house. My dad is agnostic and my mom was a spiritual Christian but didn't believe in organized religion and just did her own thing. I did go to Catholic school for 13 years, though and that's where I got my formal training in religion. That was more because they offered a better level of education then the Chicago public schools in our area (which at the time were some of the worst in the country). I was never expected to follow the church, though (my dad was raised Catholic). the only time I ever went to church was at school and never did any of the sacraments.
    They both believed religion/faith was a personal decision and raised us to decide on our own what we believed when we were ready. I'm now atheist and I have no clue what my brother is. We don't really discuss religion.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I was dragged to an Episcopalian Church for the first 17 years of my life. I learned, I listened, I conversated with others about it all for those 17 years. I came to my own opinions and still came back to believing in science and facts. That is my faith, as even science is theory at first. However, it all comes down to what you can prove for me. I can't prove God, I can't prove Jesus, I can't prove any of it. Makes it hard for me to wrap my head around that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes, I was raised in a Christian family and went to Sunday school every week, where I drove the Sunday school teacher crazy with all my questions because her stories just didn't add up. ;) My mother also had me confirmed. It wasn't until I was 14 and moved in with my father that I didn't get dragged to that stuff anymore. We occasionally went to a Catholic basilica across the street from a wonderful Polish restaurant in Milwaukee.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Raised Presbyterian/Protestant/non denomintaional. We moved around a lot so it depended on the area. Generally they were accepting of anyone, but the older I got the more questions I had and the less religion made sense.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Presbyterian and Methodist primarily. I left my beliefs behind in my early 30s.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My parents both believe in God but never made me go to church or anything. I'm more agnostic than athiest though.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yup, I was raised Catholic... Went to Catholic school, got baptized and did my confirmation. Went to church every Sunday, too. However, this was in Holland, where the Catholic church is a lot more relaxed than they are over here. Basically, they ignore any of the mandates coming down from the Vatican that are just outdated and stupid. So our church was just fine with gay people, birth control, and didn't really condemn people for stuff like that. However, when I was 16, I was told I could make up my own mind about what I wanted to do. And frankly, even with the more relaxed attitude, I just couldn't really believe all of the stuff they were teaching, and I've always had major issues with the Vatican and the judgemental, hateful position they take on things. So, I considered myself agnostic. Now, I can pretty much say I'm an Atheist. My family doesn't mind at all, they've always let me make up my own mind about things...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010