If Canadas Healthcare is so wonderful?

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2510700

Why is that Canadian Premier Danny Williams will undergo heart surgery later this week in the United States?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Op here. The point is not about who has the better health care. I think the US has the best facilities and in order to get the best, we have to pay for it.

The point is with socialized medicine, even the leaders are looking elswhere for treatment.
    If I were a Canadian, I would want my leaders to use the same system I have to use.
    Anonymous

• Things that make you go hhmmmmmmm. :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Because that's where the specialist is located. Several United States citizens travel to Switzerland, Brazil, etc. -- because that's where the best guy to do their procedure is located.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 11:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I wonder if he will have to pay out of pocket to the US surgeon even though he's probably paid thousands to the Canadian healthcare system? Will the Canadian healthcare plan pay for it? Just wondering.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• its not IF canada's healthcare is so wonderul..it IS wonderfull!! it doesnt cost a dime!!!!! ever!!!!! (unless its cosmetic surgery) you need stiches, you have a baby, you break your back, your leg your arm, whatever!!! FREEEEEE!!!! i was living in the states one time, and i needed stiches, it cost me $400 for 5 stiches!!!! wtf!!!! canada defeintly has wonderul haealthcare, no if's and's or but's!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Its totally 'free' the money comes out of thin air ..sarcasm
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Several United States citizens travel to Switzerland, Brazil, etc. -- because that's where the best guy to do their procedure is located.

Yes, the US is a FREE Market. NOT a nation focused on socialized medicine. HUUUUUUUGE Difference. LOL... He essentially said to the people of his country, "Let them eat Cake".  It's 2010, why doesn't have Cananda have an advanced HEART SURGERY center for ALL CANADIANS to have access to?  Rationing? Socialized medicine can't afford such a facility? hmmmmmm

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• *why doesn't Canada have*
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Okay, first of all- Canada does not have a premier. We have a Prime Minister. Danny Williams is not the prime minister of Canada, he is the premier (similar to governor) of Newfoundland and Labrador. That is a portion of the country with a smaller population and it's quite possible that the procedure in question is not performed regularly in that area (similarly, in the US if you lived outside of Nome Alaska you might have to travel for a highly specialized medical procedure.) Why is he not having it done in Toronto or Vancouver or another Canadian city? Your guess is as good as mine... my suspicion is that he is doing it in the US where he can pay to jump the line, as opposed to not being given preferential treatment under the Canadian system.
    There are perfectly good heart specialists in Canada... my grandpa had a bypass at one of the best hospitals in Ontario- wait time of about ten days, no money out of pocket.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• ITS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....THAT may be the FUNNIEST thing I have EVER heard on here!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010