green stool in a breastfed 4 weekold

hi, my 4 week old daughter passed one green stool in the evening. thereafter she passed a regular coloured (but small) stool once. in the morning today she was getting her massage when she pooped and it seemed frothy. shud i just ignore it if her stool seems normal tomorrow or should i go to the doctor. i have an appointment next week do i need to prepone it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• perfectly normal
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• call and talk to the advice nures. It may be nothing, but they have info infront of them propmting them what to ask next and what to do if you answer ceratin questions certain ways.
    good luck :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• sounds normal to me. i love frothy, I called it fluffy
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• sooo normal! ive been breastfeeding for 9 months so far, and sometimes my little alexis has a green stool, but lately its brown because she's moved on to baby food and breastmilk lol
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 12:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Green is normal for any child. It'll go from black, to green, to green/yellow, to yellow.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• green frothy stools can be signs of an oversupply of milk. Look at the info here and see if you have any of the other symptoms: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• At 4 days...I wonder if this has to do with the milk coming in. It should be temorary. I seem to remember this happening with DD, she is on the boob at 12 months, and cherish those little green and yellow poops while you can, cuz now they are all brown and stinky! LOL
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I've read that if your baby only seems to get foremilk and none of the hindmilk, it can cause the green poops. Nothing to worry about, but make sure you are letting her empty the breast before switching to the next one. Anytime my daughter gives me green poops I've noticed it's when she hasn't eaten as long as normal and I switch breasts each feeding so then I will give her the last breast she fed on at the next feeding and then her poops go back to normal.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• thanks..
    i think the green stool might have been because of foremilk cause sometimes she just doesnt go beyond abt 10 minutes (i remember my son feeding for abt 30 minutes at this age). also the first letdown is too much for her so now im just letting some spray onto a towel (earlier i kept her on not wanting to waste precious milk.. :))
    i think my supply has to still settle down.. two days its a bit slower and she sucks longer then as a result it increases and then she has only for 5-10min and then its slows down again and the cycle continues)
    btw she has had a few normal looking stools after that so im just going to go to the doctor when scheduled and mention it to her.
    thanks again.
    Anonymous