Christians, honest question for you... I might be missing something here

I've seen that alot of you who believe everything in the bible, which has magic and stuff in it, don't believe in witchcraft and the magic involved in it. How is that so? If you believe in the bible, god, Jesus and the fact that he performed miricles and such.... which is pretty much the same thing as magic, how can you not believe that a witch can perform magic?
Sorry if I'm being confusing, I just really didn't know how to word it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in "magic" from a witch now a days. I just think that that "magic" isn't of God. It is of Satan. Anything that isn't of God is against God. There is no gray area. It says it in the bible. SOOO I believe in GOD'S miracles that are done by Him... humans have no contribution to those miracles other than prayer (which isn't a "spell" etc etc I've heard that argument... it is communication with God). But unless a person is a Christian they can come up with whatever crazy arguments against the bible that they want. All I am saying is, yes, there is "magic".... just read the story of Moses, among others. But there is a HUGE difference between humans "performing magic" (spells, potions, ceremonies, etc) and God's miracles (I don't believe in the whole laying of hands, YOURE HEALED! junk some people do. Does that help at all?
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I believe magick is a counterfit of God's miracles...Not the same thing.
    Anonymous

• I think one difference between the two is who is suppose to be in control. The general is idea is that miracles are from God - they are God's will. From my understanding that "magick" (not the magic tricks) is the idea that the individual controls the situation - not God. That using magick the person can make something happen themselves - that somehow they are controlling/focusing some power in the universe. When a human performs a miracle - the idea is that God is using that person as tool for His miracle, but it's God's will, God's sign. God is in control. "Magick" is the individual harnassing some power to do what they want, so the individual is in control.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• miracles and magic are 2 different things. David Copperfield does magic. God does miracles. One can be explained while the other can not. David Cooperfield can not heal a person but God can. To me there is a very big difference between the two.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes you are missing something. :-) Miracles are very very different than Magic... what the pp just said is right...

"The biggest difference is that miracles rely on the will of God. Magic is often the manipulation of power or the (for lack of a better word) nature of things. Magic is more like the use of energy aroud you. Miracles are faith.

Another way to see the difference.. Miracles are caused by God working through man where as magic is done by man alone for selfish gains.

When Jesus did the miracles it was God the Father through Him that HEALED people and touched peoples lives.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I really think that the magik through mythology and that's even used today has come from God. Not that God gives you magic *it's really the devil but you don't believe in him right?* but God says something and BAM it happens. So I think that magik and stuff has it's roots in God. But that still doesn't make it right that you are using it.
    Anonymous

• The miracles that Jesus performed are from God, magick that witches practice are from satan. Light has nothing to do with dark.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe what Jesus did is what I would call "magic," the greatest difference, as others pointed out, being the source of His power.

However, the bible does have stories such as Pharos magicians who turn their staffs into snakes just like moses. So yes, I believe there is "real magic" out there beyond the level of common illusionist entertainers - I just don't believe God to be the source of their powers.
    Anonymous

• Well i believe that there are all forms of "magic" both good and evil. There is always two sides of the spectrum. Good/Evil God/Devil Angels/Demons Priest/Witches
    MinnieMoni

Answer by MinnieMoni at 1:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2010