Could the Obama Campaign be sent to a Collection Agency?

The city of Springfield still hasn’t been fully repaid for costs associated with hosting then- U.S. Sen. Barack Obama’s presidential campaign stop in the fall of 2008.

Obama’s presidential campaign was sent a bill for $68,139, and still owes the city $55,457, according to Ernie Slottag, the city’s spokesman.

The city has been trying — unsuccessfully — to collect payment, Ken Crutcher, the city’s director of office of budget and management told aldermen recently.

“We’ve spoken to a lot of people and have found a lot of circles,” Crutcher said. … “We’ve been kind of bounced from place to place with respect to that particular event.”

Attempts to get a comment for this story from the Obama campaign were unsuccessful. The White House referred comments to the Democratic National Committee. A spokesman at the DNC didn’t respond to questions sent via e-mail.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• “Let’s turn them over to a collection agency,” quipped Ward 3 Ald.Frank Kunz. His remark prompted laughter from aldermen during a recent budget workshop “I’m serious,” he said. “If you guys are serious about going after him, turn them over to a collection agency.”

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Funny how he can't pay them but he can spend billions of dollars on pointless crap.
    Anonymous

• Where did all of the NPP $$ go? Wasn't that $1.4 mil.? He can pay for that easy.

On another front, if we are to expect our leaders to lead by example, then I suppose I should stop paying my bills too.  I would be willing to be collections would have my ass before they would have his.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Maybe he could use some of his Nobel Prize money to pay the bill. It's not like he has to pay rent with that money.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• credit card                   Tell them to just charge it!  Isn't that what the admin is doing?  Charging it and leaving it for the next generation to pay.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• That is hilarious. I hope they go to collections.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I cant believe you would post such idiocy

Anonymous

• I can anon above me..Believe me, I can. I am here day in and day out and OP as well as a few others who have already replied have nothing better to do than post such idiocy.
    Anonymous

It's not like this made up. It's REAL news. If you are ok with the Obama Campaign/DNC skirting their financial responsibilities~that's your opinion... Thanks for sharing! :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2010