tummy time

I know i am supposed to put my daughter on the mat for tummy time but she cries every time i put her on her belly. 2 month old kicks lifts head supported sitter. does anyone else have this problem and how did you solve it?

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My niece was like that. Now she's almost 10 months old....still wont go on her tummy...scoots on her butt...don't think she will ever crawl. My sister always gave into her when she'd cry she'd take her off her belly....I say stick with it....my son loved tummy time..and he started army crawling at 3 months...fully crawling at 4.5 months...and now hes almost 8 months and he's just about walking. =) I would stick with it and keep putting her on her tummy even if she hates it..they say if a kid never crawls, it will cause problems later on....good luck
    Anonymous

• Just keep trying, even her kicking and crying for a couple minutes will help. they need to strengthen their neck muscles and other area's this way.. what I ddi was tried it about 5-7 tmes a day, which he was not happy about each time but i didn't make him do it for very long, just often.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Just do it for a couple of minutes, or even 30 seconds if she really howls, but keep doing it several times a day. As she gets stronger she will like it more. Also, show her a mirror or toys that are shiny or make noise, something to get her interest or at least distract her from the horror of tummy times. It will probably get better once she has more control and strength, that's how it was for my daughter. At this point I don't think it is worth a huge battle, just try it several times a day but don't make her go until she is completely hysterical. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I had the problem...eventually decided to forget it because it really wasn't worth it. His tummy time came while nursing because it was a tummy to tummy position. And he had better arm strength and head control than I do!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my ds is the same way. then i decided to try naked tummy time after bath time (to dry off). now he doesn't scream when he's naked on his tummy.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• the naked tummy time is so cute i think i will try this my dd love to be naked
    sashasmom159

Answer by sashasmom159 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• This is a common problem, but there is hope. Pathways Awareness has developed tools to aid parents in providing Tummy Time, because it can be such a challenge early on. Check out their website: http://bit.ly/8IhuuF. You can start in small spurts and work up to longer periods as your LO becomes more comfortable.
    PathwaysMom

Answer by PathwaysMom at 1:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2010