So, people other than the rich pay taxes; who knew? ;o)

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20100201/backdoor-taxes-to-hit-middle-class.htm

"Millions of middle-class households already may be facing higher taxes in 2010 because Congress has failed to extend tax breaks that expired on January 1, most notably a "patch" that limited the impact of the alternative minimum tax...Middle-class families also will find fewer tax breaks available to them in 2010 if other popular tax provisions are allowed to expire."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband works 70+ hours a week. he works hard for the money he earns. That's time away from his family and friends and we paid 25% of it in taxes. thats one quarter

if he works five days a week, more than one of those days goes to taxes! Isnt that flippin crazy! How is that fair? he works hard, and has worked hard to get where he is.

Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Fair tax!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• *shaking head*
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• They were always set to expire, they were temporary tax cuts. Do you know what the term temporary means?

How did the last admin. make up for the shortfall in the budget after enacting this temporary tax cut?

Anonymous

• I totally empathize w/ you Christine!!! My DD and I only see my DH on Sat and Sun, and by then he's completely exhausted from working 10-12 hour days. We pay 1/4 in taxes as well. While I love driving on our spectacular roads and I love having the the security of our military, fire dept., police, etc, I just wonder if it is necessary for the Govt. to take THAT much! Its not just money in our case, its time we don't see DH/daddy. So he's paying for who knows what with his life... Thsi country needs a major tax overhaul.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Thank you for the link to the article ... I heard in the early morning that Reuters had put out an article with this headline, but when the White House phoned them, they pulled it off the internet ... so I was very interested to see what was in that article that the White House didn't want being read.

I had looked around with no success, but you provide here a link. I wonder if this is the same article? I am not a "member" of Rush Limbaugh's website, so I cannot access the articles he posts there (he is going to post the Reuters article, and members can get it.)

I don't think that underhanded actions like this which confiscate more money from individuals & businesses come as any surprise to most of us. ... But I DO think we need to compare this with other episodes in history when power was stealthily gathered and concentrated into the hands of only a few. ...

Anyway, it behooves us to be watchful, & ready to act.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Just because they were "temporary" doesn't mean they can't and shouldn't continue.

I don't imagine the last admin anticipated 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and the Democrat induced housing bust. The Democrats had control of Congress the last 2 years of that spending spree.

Why blame the last admin for the mistakes of this admin? Obama hasn't done a thing to try and help those struggling in this economy. His policies have only created a deeper hole for us to climb out of. Taking money from the mouths of those that are starving is not going to help.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Oh man! I hope they don't let the alt min continue. That's the biggest scam out there!
    Anonymous

• Reuters has retracted that story. They screwed up. The projection was based on him not renewing a Bush tax break that is still in effect. (note irony - if he upholds Bush policy, he's not a liar, if he goes against what Bush did, he is a liar) That doesn't mean we aren't still getting screwed, because we are by every instance of business meddling that gets the cost passed on to us, but this particular one is wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Do you actually pay a 1/4 in federal income tax. or are you in the 25% tax bracket after exemptions etc? I doubt you know what you are talking about. My family has consistently paid 10-11% in income tax. That doesn't include Social Security or state. And we are in the bracket for 28% most of the time. But they don't tax the first lump that is excluded and then the lower tax brackets cover the next amount and on up. It seems ridiculous to me to fill out all that paper work to end up paying 10% in the end. How about if we all just pay 10% of gross and get on with it!  (If you add up the state, fed and SSI it probably does come to 25% and if you add in property tax and sales tax I think it is closer to 30%.)

Anonymous