can i schedule my delivery

keimorasmom

Asked by keimorasmom at 12:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you're having a c-section. But you can't schedule labor....
    Anonymous

• HA! You can try-but try telling the baby you're on a schedule! :) Seriously though, you can talk to your ob and ask if after such and such a date you can possibly be induced. If there are no risks to you or the baby, though-I don't think they'll do it before 40 weeks.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Ask your OB. they usually want a reason to induce, like high blood pressure.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• no, unles you are havign a c-section. its a baby not a package!! and if you are a first time mom there is no point on having a c-section unless your having complications now, druing labor or the baby is laying inthe wrong position
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My 3rd was induced largely because I needed a scheduled date, due to having a 3 year old with autism (I couldn't leave him with just anyone and in fact, the people that could keep him were limited to um . . . my parents), but the dr also had a concern about size since my 1st was large so he induced me at 38 weeks. Talk to your OB and see if they are willing to do it, some will be, some won't.

Answer by missanc at 12:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• there are a few serious medical conditions that would necessitate "scheduling" but that is very very rare. in almost every case, it is by far the healthiest to let the baby decide when to come, that way you know you aren't evicting him/her too early. how horrible would you feel if you "scheduled" at 41 weeks but turned out baby wasn't ready, and had to spend time in the NICU?
    Anonymous

• I would do everything in my power to avoid scheduling a birth. that always meansd by induction ort c-sec, all which include risks to you and your baby, something I'm not willing to risk just to have my baby at a certain time.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i'm w/ precious. unless my midwife said that my baby was in trouble, and i needed to schedule a birth, and my own research confirmed what she told me, i would always let the baby decide when s/he's ready. i don't want to introduce any unnecessary risks.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• or if my midwife said my own life was in danger and the risks of staying pregnant definitely outweighed the risks of induction for baby.
    Stefanie83

• yes............you can. to be induced, and usually after 37 weeks. i didnt have ANY medical problems, and got pitocin anytime i wanted after 37 weeks.
    Anonymous