Americans jailed in Haiti

So, what do you think about the Americans being held in Haiti for allegedly trying to bring children to the US? Do you THINK they are telling the truth and they thought the children were orphaned or are we getting too big for our britches where we think everyone should live according to our standards? Is it better to be in the US without your parents or be in a place like Haiti with your parents?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 12:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I tend to think their hearts were in the right place but their logic left them. They broke the laws and should be tried for it.

Answer by older at 1:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• For the record, I am on the fence on this one. Would love to see intelligent thoughts on this topic.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I'm having troubles with this once since I want to adopt- makes me wonder if we'll ever have something like "The prime directive" from Star Trek Next gen................
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think if they want to adopt, they need to do it the legal way. I can sympathize with some Americans who were on the wait-list for years and their adoptions were just about to be finalized when the quake happened. Now their paperwork is buriedunder piles of rubble, but they cant just grab the kid and leave the country. We have to respect Haiti's sovereignty.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think that they should be tried for kidnapping. Good intentions or not, they were taking children w/o permission...kidnapping. Just b/c they are children from another country that is upside down right now (and kind of always has been) doesn't mean they can go in and start stealing children. JMO.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If the children actually have parent's leave them there. There are more than enough actual orphans that NEED parent's. I think American's need to stop stepping in others countries affairs and leave them be. Fine, lets donate time, money and assistance to Haiti to help them after the earthquake. But we need to stop pushing ourselves onto other countries. We don't need an entire world of "America".
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 12:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• They have admitted they knew they were not all orphaned. Some were given the children by relatives, parents or siblings (who signed the kids over) because the families wanted them to have a better life.

They tracked most family members to a village and the family members stand behind their decision, its painful but they fear the life their kids will have. The problem, they people that took the kids said they were orphans to make it easier to take the kids...MAYBE their hearts were in teh right place...but they went about it wrong. The Prime Minister wants to make an example out of them now because they have had problems with child trafficing

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Haiti's prime minister said Monday that 10 Americans who tried to take a busload of undocumented Haitian children out of the country knew that "what they were doing was wrong," and could be prosecuted in the United States.
    Prime Minister Max Bellerive told The Associated Press that his country is open to having the Americans face U.S. justice, since most government buildings — including Haiti's courts — were crippled by the monster earthquake.

"It is clear now that they were trying to cross the border without papers. It is clear now that some of the children have live parents," Bellerive said. "And it is clear now that they knew what they were doing was wrong."

If they were acting in good faith — as the Americans claim — "perhaps the courts will try to be more lenient with them," he said.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• U.S. Embassy officials would not say whether Washington would accept hosting judicial proceedings for the Americans, who are mostly from Idaho. For now, the case remains firmly in Haitian hands, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said in Washington.

"Once we know all the facts, we will determine what the appropriate course is, but the judgment is really up to the Haitian government," he said.

Haitian officials insist some prosecution is needed to help deter child trafficking, which many fear will flourish in the chaos caused by the devastating Jan. 12 quake. The government and aid groups are still struggling to get food, water, shelter and basic health care to hundreds of thousands of survivors, and many parents are desperate to get help for their children.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-02-02-haitiorphans_N.htm?csp=34
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Well, crap. I typed an answer and it disappeared.

While I understand the American's plights - really, I do - you can't just kidnap children.

How did they think they'd get away with this? What happens if you actually manage to get them to the US - with no papers?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010