Do you sterilize your baby's bottles?

Why or why not? Also how often?

Alizzie_Mom

Asked by Alizzie_Mom at 12:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did with new bottles. I boiled them. But after that, we just used the dishwasher. Now, if we had not had a dishwasher, I probably would have more often. But the dishwasher gets to such a high temperature, I was comfortable with it.
    Anonymous

• my babies are older now 2 and almost 5 but when they were little for my first baby I was given used bottles so I sterilized those ones ony one time before I used them. With my last baby I bought all new bottles and we had a dish washer so I didn't sterilize them I threw them in a dish washer. I don't think you have to sterilize bottles anymore just wash them in hot soapy water
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I EBF and stay at home so I don't need to pump very often, but when I do give her a bottle I made sure it had been through the dishwasher and then I would rinse it with hot water too just to get any residue off it....that was as much as I ever cleaned them....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I DID MY DAUGHTER IS 3 NOW BUT YES EVER DAY I DID
    Anonymous

• I remember my mom sterilizing my daughter's bottles (She's 9 yrs old now) but I'm not sure if that's something I should be doing or not. Everyone's input helps. Thanks!
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 12:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• just the first time, then I just washed after use (that was the instructions per the bottle/nipples.
    Anonymous

• No I never have. I asked his doctor about it and he says there is no need to that you just need to wash them really well with soap and water. He says the only time you have to is if your baby has a problem with Thrush, the white blisters things in its mouth
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think it's just the initial first wash. After that, hand washing is fine too. Now if you misplace a bottle, find it a couple days later and it's coated with that gross hard milk, I'd probably sterilize again. But that's just me and my weird ways.
    Anonymous

• i do it at least twice a week. we don't have a dishwasher so i have to do it the old fashioned way and boil water and sterelize them.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• When you first get the bottle you should follow manufacturer's directions and sterilize them... after that, soap and water is totally fine. If you think about it, your child will soon enough be putting anything and everything in his mouth... germs don't kill you, they make you stronger. All the sterilizing gear is just a racket to make more money from loving parents....
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010