my DD fell out of the shopping cart and hit her head!

so today at walmart my 2 yr old DD was in the basket of the shopping cart (my mistake she obviously should have been buckled in the seat! i already know!) and she flipped out of it head first. she has a red mark and a small bump on her forehead now. she cried for like 30 seconds and then she was ok, walking, talking, laughing, totally normal. should i take her to ER? what is the general protocol when this happens? she's acting like nothing happened, but i'm still worried. please no bashing (i already understand what a mistake i made), i just need advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mother says you should watch for cuncussion.....don't let her fall asleep for a while...keep her awake, and just watch for any change in personalitly or anything. I wouldn't worry too much...I'd give her some tylenol because she probably has a major head ache lol good luck momma
    Anonymous

• just keep an eye on her. if she gets lethargic and its not her typical behavior, or starts to throw up or something of that nature then take her to the ER. My daughter fell off of my in laws bed onto their hardwood floors, their bed is pretty high. She was fine.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We all make mistakes. If you're worried, take her to the doctor/ER just to be sure. I probably would because I'd be paranoid. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Next time, just buckle her in the seat. If she gets bored, hand her some of the items in the cart. My daughter gets bored and loves when she gets to hold things.
    Anonymous

• My 2 yr old daughter just did this at walmart 2 weeks ago. My baby was at the front of the cart and my dd just decided she was gonna fall out....I freaked and she was just fine lol kids have a habbit of doing stuff like that lol shell be fune mama
    moodywife

Answer by moodywife at 12:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My son did the same thing at the IGA, after I repeatedly told him to sit down. He cried for a minute or so then was completely fine. As long as she doesn't throw up or act drowsy, she's probably okay. I bet she learned her lesson from that. It sucks, but sh!t happens.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• keep an eye on her. We all make mistakes, please buckle her in next time. No bash just concerned.
    Anonymous

• My son was climbing up the doorway(arms and legs spread out like spider man over here) while i was at work one day. I came home and his dad told me he had fallen off the door molding. He was throwing up non stop and was real lethargic. I took him to the ER because i remembered reading about that in a magazine one time. Needless to say they did a cat scan and he was fine. Doctor said that i did the right thing bringing him in, just to be safe. It's okay for them to sleep, just let them rest about twenty mins and see if you can wake them up. If they are stumbling when they walk or are throwing up it's a good idea to take them in just in case.

Kids heads are very resilient believe it or not. I don't know how many times my kids fell out of the bed or jumped off the table and knocked their noggins and they are fine. Mine are twins and they are so chock full of boy energy there, i've gradually learned not to panic at every bump.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• The other ladies are right in their advice. Also look at her eyes if one pupil is larger than the other, that is bad and she should go right to the doctor. Big hugs Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• thank you very much!!! i'll watch for any lethargy, vomitting, or strange behavior but as of now she's just fine. thanks again :)
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying it's the same but I would treat her like you would if she fell out of the crib. Pay close attention to her. A cold wash cloth to help with the redness and swelling. She should be okay. Let us know in a few days how she is.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010