Do you know a hoarder?

I do, but am sure they won't admit to it... I mean not to the point where they have animals and stuff in there home, just save and buy everything, and they are always broke....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My sister's inlaws. UGH...you can't walk into their house it is soo full of crap. She gives her grandkids candy that is several years old all the time. The kids have finally stopped eating anything she gives them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I worked with teens in an emergency shelter years ago. Things just started coming up missing. Weird stuff that no one would steal like schoolbooks, pens/pencils, socks, a bar of used soap, etc. It was stuff that you'd just dismiss as misplaced b/c who would steal something like that? The kiddo was moved suddenly to another facility and the staff had to pack his belongings while he was at school. We found pillowcases FULL of random stuff! Just hoarded for whatever reason in PILES and PILES behind and under his bed. It was very shocking.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My MIL.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My dad is about 2 steps away from being a hoarder. Right now he's at "pack rat" status and holding. It takes a lot of prodding for him to clear out old stuff. His office is full of boxes of old magazines from the 80s that he hasn't looked at in decades. His room has towers of old bill statements all over.
    Food is the worst. He's a food hoarder. Over the summer me and the kids cleared out the pantry (we live with him). There was canned food in there from 1996! When he found out I tossed all the expired stuff (well stuff that had expired more then 2 or 3 years ago) he freaked out. There are some things in our fridge that have been in there for as long as we have lived here (almost 10 years). He refuses to get rid of anything. Our back yard is littered with stupid things we will never use again but he won't get rid of them. It's annoying. If we weren't here I'm sure the house would be overrun with stuff.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Unfortunately, I am married to one. Therapy can help. There is a fantastic book called Buried in Treasure that is eye-opening.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my MIL. She's teetering on the edge of pack rat and hoarder. She has newspapers from ten years ago. and in her room there apparently is a desk in there... I have to ask WHERE?! oh under the pile of clothes.... her dining room is storage. though DH admits, he had things in there from when we lived together after i graduated and when he was living on his college campus. And we don't have the room here for all of it.... but there's a lot of her stuff as well that's really bad in her home.
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 6:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My mom is. All our old rooms are filled with her clothing. Her own closet has clothes she hasn't worn for 25 yrs. She saves empty boxes for storing things, but then just stacks up the empty boxes instead of using them.
    When she gives us things, she expects to retain 'ownership' over them & gets angry if I pass them on to others who need them. When I was getting rid of a high chair (from 1st baby, now 15 yrs), she wanted it back. I have another baby coming, but received a much newer high chair 2nd hand from a friend. She's mad I won't take the highchair and wonders why she kept it? I said, you wanted it back. She said it was so I wouldn't give it to my ex's brother who had a baby! I don't talk to him at all, so why would I? But if he'd have asked, of course I would have given it...I certainly didn't need it at the time.
    I believe the more I give, the more I get (when needed). She doesn't understand the concept at all.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 7:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2010