Did you know that at it's core, Groundhog's Day is a religious holiday?

What are (or did) you doing to celebrate the day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• thats not true. and isnt everything at its core a religous thing??
    Anonymous

• You can put a religious spin on just about anything. As far as what we did to celebrate...nothing. It means nothing to me.
    Anonymous

• i bet it started with the pagans LOL they lay claim to everything
    Anonymous

• I have a hard time beleiving this. Maybe celebrating it was a religious ritual but animal instincts are not.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• buhahahaha... where do you get your strange facts lady????
    Anonymous

• I did not even know its Ground Hog day.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes they decided to have a national holiday just for my brothers birthday. Of course he only gets a cake with candles and a ground hog while my oldest sister gets fireworks for hers on the 4th of July and my other sister gets valentines on hers. My dad's birthday is also special because since he is a vet they made a special day just for his birthday November 11 and they let us out of school for that growing up. :)
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Sorry ladies, but it is true! Groundhog's Day came out of both Pagan and Christian traditions. In fact for many Christians today is more than Groundhog's day, it's also Candlemass. The Pagan celebration today is Imbolc.

Here's the info... http://atheism.about.com/od/springholidays/p/GroundhogsDay.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Today, being I am from PA, I got up to watch Phil and find out if he saw his shadow today - which of course he did... I do not work on the Sabbats because I prefer to have the day set aside for family and faith. I posted a number of Imbolc posts in my religious group in order to try to raise awareness to the existence and celebration of the day, and to give those just starting a "leg up." I will also be doing a small Imbolc Ritual and having some "goddess & me" time with meditation and personal study... I will also be planing my garden and getting the seeds ready to plant in the spring. I'll also be making a few small candles this afternoon for use in my evening ritual...

Many & Bright Blessings to all!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I wish ppl would take the time to learn about something before bashing it or others...

As I am Pagan (Wiccan) today is a quiet day... some soul searching and meditation late this evening
    I am going to work on planning my garden for the Spring also and work on straightening up my
    Craft drawer... LOL... it has gotten a tad out of place with tools and supplies...

Brightest of Blessings to all
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010