Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If i get child support and go to school, but dont work should I file taxes?

Or should my boyfriend claim us because he makes good money and also claims his 3 kids

Answer Question

Asked by Cherish050307 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 6 (143 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • if you live with the bf let him claime you all, you have no income to file with

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • there is nothing fo you to claim honey. he can do it though

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • If you didn't pay any taxes from earnings (payroll, business, etc) then you can't file taxes. But yes, your boyfriend should claim you all (including YOU) on his if you are living in his home....

    Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • I'm in the same boat as you. My Aunt told me if you don't have any income than they had nothing to take taxes out of so you won't get anything back anyways. So just have you bf do it!

    Answer by Trishy7 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Be warry of tax advice you get from Cafemom!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • You may need to file a tax return if you received certain types of education assitance, but child support is not taxable.

    Your boyfriend cannot claim you or your child(ren) as dependents on his return. To claim someone as a dependent on your tax return the person you are claiming must be your spouse, your qualifying child, your qualifying relative, or your spouse's qualifying child or relative.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • If you received loans from school, then you will need to file taxes. They will send you a form.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.