If you don't yell at your kids, then how do you handle it when they don't listen?

I wish I could stop yelling, this morning my daughter who is 7 took 50 minutes to get dressed, mind you her clothes were out.

She just romes around in the morning, ignoring me, doing as she pleases and it drives me nuts, then when everyone else is dressed, and I am ready to do her hair she gets mouthy because I yell, hello, she is still not dressed, 1 hour later. OMG< what do I do????

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Start whispering. Seriously. Go into her room, start whispering. She will have to pay attention to get what you are saying.
    I hated that too. :) It works. Also, stop the threats. If she doesn't get dressed by the time you tell her...she goes in what she has on.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i would possibly consider physically dressing her myself, or possibly standing over waiting for her to get dressed. actually that is probably what i would do. i would not allow her to wander anywhere, i would keep her in the room or where and make her get dressed. if she didn't have time do her hair or eat breakfast, then that would be her issue. i would also actually getting in her face. not yelling, but looking at her on eye level, and speak to her very firmly, about what you expect her to do and that you expect her ot listen and that not listening is not only disrespectful, but not acceptable. i would let her know that if she has such a problem with yelling that she should have listened the first time. i would also work on consequences. if she gives you a rough morning, make her go to bed 15 minutes earlier. and continue to go earlier and earlier until she finally behaves in the morning. Good luck.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I know with my son if I see he is poking around getting dressed I start making him get dressed befor he can eat.....he loves breakfast! And if he runs out of time(you can use a timer) then oh well he should have gotten dressed faster.
    Also when I say we leave we leave and leave as is(you can take a set of clothes with you)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Ok. I am a yeller. Can I still answer? I have toned it down a bit. I had to examine myself and my attitude first then I could deal with my kids better if I knew conciously what was happening. I felt like I was in a tornado sometimes. I had to consciously be aware of my kids before the tornado came. Am I making sense? lol I really thought about what it was that was making me angry. The things that were making me angry were specific , repetitive, BAD habits that my kids were doing. Yes kids have some annoying habits ey? ****I tried to be ahead of the game, make a mental note, and address/talk to my kids ahead of time. Kids always want want want. GL! I know how ya feel hon.

I made a getting ready chart for my dd when she started Kinder. We follow it to this day. Label a poster board for everything she needs to do in order. Let her draw the pictures.

Think about your dd's personality and it will come to u
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Take her in with whatever she is wearing.
    Anonymous

• Watch Super Nanny... she has some good advice on this kind of stuff. I always joke with my son and tell him he is super fast like a super hero or tell him I am going to be him while I am putting on my shoes... I make it a fun game somehow. I know how it feels to get upset and yell... he has like 5 min. to get his shoes and stuff on before I have to drop him off and head to work. Yelling would always ruin my day because me yelling out him would upset him and make me feel horrible. I am still working on this and trying to find solutions. I hope everything gets better for you. GL.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i yell. i am really trying not to. i am trying to use time outs now...but just the other day i threw my boys nintendo ds's in the garbage and left them there until they cleaned the basement!
    i like the idea pp had of whispering!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I can't recommend strongly enough Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort; you should be able to find it at your local library: http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• After checking in on her the 2nd time ,just tell her in a nice tone, if I have to come back to get you, one more time you are grounded, she won't be able to___ tonight. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 6:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• say it once and walk away. come back 5 minutes later - ask again and give a warning with a consequence. ie-not getting dressed in time - she will go to school in jammies, or will not have breakfast.

come back in 5 minutes if she's not dressed and ready - she's going to school in jammies.

don't back down and don't pester.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2010