Moms with babies and toddlers...

I stay at home with my baby who just turned 1 and my 3 year old son. I feel like I never get much accomplished... my house gets "picked up" and laundry gets folded (sometimes not put away right away) but I feel like my house is never as clean as I would like- mostly because I am with the kids doing things all day- (playing, feeding, changing, potty-training etc) . By the time my hubby gets home I am beat both physically and mentally sometimes (my 3 year old is a strong willed boy) and my energy for getting it all done diminishes... although I manage to get things tidy and straightened...

What is your home like? How do you manage to ever get it all done? I am living on a constant guilt trip about my home on a regular basis...
Is this normal?

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 1:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a 1 and 5 year old and I babysit a 6 month old! I know how you feel and the 1 year old is a foster child so i have home visits with different people 4-5 times a month... I always feel bad that it could have been cleaner... i mean dont get me worng its not dirty but i'd love to have it cleaner....im picking up and cleaning as much as I can all day and at the end of the day its looks a bad as iit did to begin with... i think im learning to deal with it and not stress over it as much
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• yeah is normal!! am in the same situation and my kids are your kids age. i dont get it get it done
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my kids aren't babies or toddlers anymore, they are 5 and 4. when my son was born i had a new born and a 15 month old, it is hard to get the whole house clean and take care of both kids. my place was always a mess and i felt bad but you just do as much as you can between all the feedings and diaper changes and potty training. You could always try and put your son into preschool and give yourself a little mommy baby time and it could give you a chance to get more things done. it gets easier once they get older.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 1:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• When your kids are older you will never say "I wish I spent more time cleaning," but you might say "I wish I spent more time with my kids when they were little." So do what you can but don't feel guilty- a dust bunny here and there or an unswept kitchen floor isn't the end of the world. My DH is on a temporary lay off and I love to see that he doesn't manage to get much done during the day when he is home with our 16 month old DD- it makes me feel better that I am not the only one who can't give her the attention she needs and clean the house, and it drives home to him the fact that I am not sitting around watching soap operas on the days he works and I am home with her. Kids this age require time and attention and you can't do that while scrubbing floors or cleaning bathrooms. Moms can multi-task but there are only so many things you can do at once.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My house is only clean when my cleaning lady comes..(2x's per month)..and that lasts about 15 minutes. I do feel bad when the house looks messy- but I know it isnt dirty. Most likely like yours is. I just tell myself, this wont last forever... just until I have more time to take better care. So there are toys everywhere on the floor, but the importnat thing is that kids (only 1 2 legged and 1 4 legged) are happy, fed, and played with. I mean, my job as SAHM is to stay home and raise son.... not be be maid, errand girl, chef, and playmate..... right?
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Normal.. my kids are 16 months and 32 months... I get the bare-bones things done (dishes and clothes washed, toys picked up), and then it's not until after the kids go to bed that I ever get to things like dusting, mopping... my husband, who works 3 jobs, sorts the bills and things... Heck, I don't even get to shaving my legs more than once a week. And I've been due for a hair cut for like 3 months and have no idea how to fit it in. No advice here, but no you're not alone!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• And I meant to add, I get to the dusting/mopping stuff only after the kids are in bed AND if I can muster the energy... which usually doesn't happen!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My favorite saying is "Cleaning your house when you have small kids is like shoveling the sidewalk when it is still snowing!"

My kids are 9,4 and 2. We live in a small apt so there isn't much room. Our laundry also sits folded in baskets for days at a time or even in the dryer! I work full time and so does their dad. We step on toys in our barefeet, curse under our breath and threaten to throw them in the trash if they don't get picked up. I finally cleaned under my couch last night and found SO's license, prescription and 3 pairs of clean socks. Believe me you are not alone!
    Anonymous

• I was just like you! I have a 2 year old son and a 3 year old daugher. They play with toys but I have them pick up their toys when done. When on to puzzles, pick up as soon as done. So on and so forth. It seems as if they are use to it now. They sing pick up, pick up its time for us to pick up. When we eat whether a meal or snack we all sit down and do so, there is no walking around and eating or drinking. Something else that has helped me tremendously with my energy levels is taking my Vitamins every day, twice a day! The vitamins I am taking are 85% soluble, so my body gets the full nutrition vs Centrum or One a Day that only have a 10% solubility. In fact the vitamins I am taking have a 90 day money back gurantee but 3 days into taking them I noticed a difference! I realized it was 10 pm and I it was time for bed. I had done so much and felt great!

My email is malaniz0104@yahoo.com
    foreverhome

Answer by foreverhome at 2:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yeah- I actually take incredible supplements too (Shaklee)- as I do suffer from a lot of thyroid issues-- but I am not sure if having more energy is the solution. Obviously- that is always a bonus... especially with little ones... but I just have had it in my head all this time that once I figure out a game plan and a good solution for how to manage my home better-- we'd have this issue sorted out... but so far none of mt "game plans" have really worked out all that well... as time in a day is also an obstacle... but it's good to know that I am not alone in this kind of situation.
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 2:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2010