Vaccines and Autism - Study Retracted

The journal Lancet has formally retracted a study published 12 years ago that linked vaccines and autism.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/02/lancet_wakefield_autism_mmr_au.html

Asked by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• omg not this again. who cares. we all are going to do it if we want, or not. what are you trying to raise a cow for about it.
    Anonymous

• Not trying to raise a cow about it. I vax myself; I've never been convinced there was a reason not to.

I found it interesting news.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• the man who did THIS study used faulty and inaccurate information. but in the USA there IS a girl recieving restitution and care for the rest of her life for HER autism being a result of her vaccinations. proven by Drs, scientists and the courts. in some incidences kids have a mitachondrial issue that when they were overloaded wiht the vaccines, it CAN cause autism. but it does not explain ALL autism incidences
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Interesting! Thanks for the info. Also, I've never found a reason to NOT vax either. My family considers it a necessity to do so.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Thank you for this! It proves what many of us have believed all along.
    Anonymous

• This doesn't "prove" anything about vaccination or autism. It proves that one doctor was unethical and dishonest.

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Scientific-Link-to-Autism-Identified-61602-1/

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

***
    Uh, yes it does! Since the ENTIRE Autism "witch-hunt" started by Dr. Wakefield, and his lawyers who were representing the original TWELVE sets of parents with Autistic children in a class-action lawsuit against "Big Pharma!" No conflict of interest there! (sarcasm).

Seeing as both of my children have been diagnosed with autism, and have and will continue to receive their vaccinations on schedule, I know that it is a genetic condition, that if we look back at baby pictures BEFORE they were diagnosed, the signs were there all along, we just didn't know what they were at the time!

If their autism was caused by vaccinations or the "environment, why are their developmental delays continuing to improve AFTER receiving additional vaccinations after the 2 year old mark?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• There could be and likely are many causes for autism. Personally I don't vax my kids due to one of them having a bad reaction and their dad having bad reactions when he was a kid. I also don't trust the studies that say vaccines are perfectly safe for everyone since all those studies are done by those with ties to the companies who make them. All said and done....if they're perfectly safe for everyone, why is there a need for a vaccine injury board and a fund which is for payments to be made to those injured by them.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2010