Do you agree with the chairman of teh joint chiefs of staff about DADT?

WASHINGTON — The military's top uniformed officer on Tuesday made an impassioned plea for allowing gays to serve openly in uniform, telling a Senate panel it was a matter of integrity and that it is wrong to force people to "lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens."

The comments by Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, set the stage for the military's yearlong study into how the ban can repealed without causing a major upheaval to the fighting forces.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, appearing with Mullen before the Armed Services Committee, announced plans to loosen enforcement rules involving the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that has been in effect since 1993.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• For those who don't like HuffPo its also on AP.

I actually was a little surprised by Mullens' statement, considering how stonefaced the JC were during the SOTU.

But I still think this is the same as the segregation of races in the last century. Despite a few anecdotes of people "choosing" to be gay..for the VAST majority it is NOT a choice any more than you and I had a choice of being born female with our individual eye and hair colors. So let's leave that "choice" debate aside; a few anecdotes are not data. For decades blacks were not allowed to serve side by side with whites, and it took Truman issuing an executive order in 1948 to change that.

I wonder if it will come to that this time.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think it will change.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think I'll just sit back and wait for the FLOOD of gays/lesbians that join the military if/when "openness" is allowed. I am sure the forces will swell by the thousands.

We all know this isn't about serving your country. It is about forced acceptance. The military "frowns" on adultery, sodomy and fraternization between officers and enlisted. How many people actually get charged with one of these in any given year? How many have been charged with sodomy in the last decade? I couldn't find a single one. DADT was a very good solution. The bedroom belongs in the bedroom and a little discretion is good for everyone.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I'm sure it will get repealed and I think that it will take a lot of time. I clicked on the HuffPo link and read the comments. A lot of people expected President Obama to just sign an Executive Order ending DADT immediately. If anyone has ever served in the military, there is so much more involved than just a signature when it comes to policy change. This will take a few years to come up with a working plan. It did take the navy several years to come up with a new working uniform. For instance, the military is going to have to decide if it will recognize same sex marriages and give the same benefits the rest of the servicemen/women with dependents get, training like tailhook will have to be implemented, etc, etc ,etc. Also, for all the armchair war experts on Huffington Post who are gay, do they plan on signing up or will the continue to critique from the comfort of their computer?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• This country MUST have armed forces.

No one has a choice about that.

Someone MUST serve.
    Gays don't HAVE to serve.
    If the majority don't like them being there, they'll let them know soon enough.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Actually, yourspecialkid, gay men who are charged ARE charged under the sodomy statute of the UCMJ. Two men at Ft. Carson got bad conduct discharges last year under the sodomy statute after they were discovered 69'ing in the back of a FTPD patrol vehicle. Another is being charged today, with sodomy and tampering with government property, after he bypassed the filters on a government computer to download gay porn.
    The ironic part is that gay men can be charged under the USMJ sodomy statute. But there is no similar charge for lesbian women. Though the military frowns on both, there isn't a legal specification for women.
    I think DADT will change. I think gay and lesbian patriots will be able to serve openly. It's going to take a few more years but it will happen.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I agree with adia-

I also think DADT needs to go-

Special -Forced acceptance-of ppl? As if they're a different species? Being gay is not a choice!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We all know this isn't about serving your country. It is about forced acceptance.

WHAT? It is NOT about serving..?? Lt. Daniel Choi is a founding member of Knights Out, an organization of out Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) West Point Alumni. strong>.

Last week, the U.S. Army discharged National Guard Lt. Daniel Choi — who served in Iraq and is fluent in Arabic — because he

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Last week, the U.S. Army discharged National Guard Lt. Daniel Choi — who served in Iraq and is fluent in Arabic — because he came out of the closet as a gay man. “Why didn’t I just shut up and not say anything?” Choi asked. Because “the Army values teach us, have courage, take personal courage, stand up, don’t lie, be honest about who you are,” he said. Choi said he would fight his dismissal “tooth and nail” and now he has written Congress and President Obama “begging” them not to fire him
    sweet-a-kins