26 members of congress send letter to Boy Scouts, thoughts?

Today, 26 Members of Congress urged the Boy Scouts of America to end its discriminatory policy of not accepting gays and lesbians in a letter sent to the Chief Scout Executive of the organization.

The correspondence, initiated by U.S. Representatives Gary Ackerman (D-NY) and Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), was sent in response to the Boy Scouts’ rejection of Cate and Elizabeth Wirth, a couple in Vermont who were told they could not volunteer for their 10 year old son’s Cub Scout pack after it was revealed that the women are lesbians. In explaining the Boy Scouts’ national policy of excluding gays and lesbians as volunteers, their district director suggested that the Wirths would “push their lifestyle on the boys.”

http://www.ourlivesmadison.com/forum/2010/02/01/members-of-congress-call-on-boy-scouts-of-america-to-end-its-discrimination-against-gays-and-lesbian

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• While I don't agree with the Boyscout's discrimination, they are a private organization and can choose to exclude whomever they wish. I applaud the members of Congress who are asking them to do the right thing. The chances that these women's sexuality would ever even come up at a boyscout function is negligible. Why would anyone discuss their sexualtiy at a boyscout meeting? If I had a son, I would not allow them to join.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 2:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It sucks. And I bet if enough people pulled their kids, membership dried up and the MONEY started going away they would change their rules. But as of RIGHT NOW its the rules of the organization and the GOVT should keep its big o nose out of a private organization. I think that these two women would be well served starting their OWN organization that runs along the same lines. I am SURE they could get the backing of MANY rich and powerful in hollywood and elsewhere. Is it right, no. Do I think these women are going to do something to these boys, no. Do I EVEN think they should HAVE to go through the hassle, not really. BUT it IS the RULES of THAT organization.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think the legislators need to mind their own business.

This is not a lifestyle I approve of...AS IS MY RIGHT. If my boys were assigned homosexual scout leaders they would no longer participate in the activities. Bash me if you want. I don't care. I am tired of the lifestyle of a very small percentage of the population being pushed off on me. Maybe I would feel differently if the movement wasn't so pushy about "sharing" and forcing acceptance.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It is the Boy Scouts choice to make. Some parents worry the kids will be molested by a gay man but, the chances of a molester being a leader is higher with a straight man than a gay man.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• This is not a lifestyle I approve of...AS IS MY RIGHT. If my boys were assigned homosexual scout leaders they would no longer participate in the activities. Bash me if you want. I don't care. I am tired of the lifestyle of a very small percentage of the population being pushed off on me. Maybe I would feel differently if the movement wasn't so pushy about "sharing" and forcing acceptance.

Why would you pull yours kids out? How is having a Gay scout leader pushing their lifestyle on you? They are not asking you to be gay, just want to be a scout leader. I know a lesbian that WAS in girl scouts for YEARS ...she wasn't there for recruiting purposes...I agree that as long as they aren't getting funding from the govt and are a private org. than they should be able to have their own guilelines...and if people dont like it they can protest for change..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• maybe congress should start funding them if they want to tell them how to run the organization. Personally I don't care if some is gay or not and I don't mind having gay people being part of boy scouts but this should be up to the organization since it privately funded.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• This is EXACTLY why I will never let my child join the boyscouts...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

I REALLY wanted my son to join the cub scouts next year..this makes me sad..I dont know if I can support that now...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My kids were in boy scouts. I'm not particularly worried about the scout leader's preferences. My kids know plenty of gay people. One lesbian lady at our church watches them regularly.

The boy scouts are a private organization, and can chose what they want. They program itself is a good one. I don't care one way or the other.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• They wrote a letter not a law. We all have the right to make our opinions known even to private groups. Congress people do not lose that right. As long as they are writing it in letter form and not trying to pass it as a law good for them.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010