can i confront my SIL

My SIL is being induced tomorrow.. 3 weeks early... yet her and baby are completely healthy right now. There is no medically necessary reason to do it. My SIL is suffering from a great amount of pain, but I am unsure what kind... pregnancy pain?..... I dont know, but I am furious at her decision and her doctors to risk this baby beign grossly premature because of pain!!

I want to call her and talk her out of it! But, its probably not my business right? But, I want to do whats best for this baby.. seeing as her doctor is not.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If it was my sister I would say something. Explain all the risks and yes I would try to change her mind.
    Anonymous

• its only 3 weeks early, so im assuming she will be 37 weeks, the baby is full term already so nothing is wrong with that. its her decison and the doctor would say if it was bad.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• How do you know the doc is not considering what is best for baby?!
    You dont even know what kid of pain, so obviously you dont know all that much about the situation.
    I highly doubt a doc would induce 3 weeks early for minor insignifigant pain.
    Anonymous

• You're not her with her body as it is. Just because she's your sil doesn't mean she tells you everything. Do you tell everything about your personal life to her every single thing? Three weeks early is early but absolutely not horrifically so. She could have medical concerns unrelated to the baby that's brought on pain that could trigger worse things than a baby who's just about term.

Maybe though she'll allow you to meet her doctor tomorrow. Just ask and say it's cause you're thinking of maybe using her ob someday, could you just sit quietly before she has the baby to see his personality as a doctor before she delivers.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Doctor do not generally schedule inductions before 39-41 weeks without it being medically necessary. If you think there is no reason for to be induced now, why don't you ask her in a non-confrontational way? By the tone of your post that might be difficult. Did you take into account that that there is a medical reason that you are not privy too?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My SIL and I are very close, and we speak freely about everythinig I know she didnt tell me about this because she knows my opinions on induction, etc....

ONLY 3 weeks? Thats still risky! It could be 5 for all we know.. Ultrasounds arent entirely accurate.. Many babies in this country are taken preamturely.. The US has the highest rate of premature babies... most due to early induction/ c-section....
    Anonymous

• op I think you just answered your own question really. "we speak free about everything I know she didn't tell me about this because she knows my opinions on induciton, etc."

That means she wanted this birth to be between herself and her medical team only.

Birth are special and worrisome whether on time, early, or late. Prayers for good health to baby and mommy. Stay strong that they hospital is good. For your peace of mind just reserach a level three neonatal to offer up heaven forbid should something be not right. Then you'll have more peace of mind.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• OP Im the first anon
    I still say talk to her. You guys are close there is nothing wrong with it.
    Funny how these same people will jump down everyone elses thorat about early induction but they are hanging you out to dry for being concerned.
    TISK TISK people double standards are unbecoming.

Anonymous

• I don't generally support early inductions without a medical need, and I just feel a little wary that maybe you don't have ALL the information because most doctors don't either. Maybe there is something medically going on that she's not telling you.

A little strategy suggestion.

Show worry or concern about her health, like "What did the doctor say about the pain you were having?"
    Anonymous

• previous anon: i did exactly that. I left her a message ( i bet you she wont be calling back). bummer.
    Anonymous