dosent even want to walk?!

my son is 8 mo old, and he has no desire to walk at all i try to stand him up and he pulls his legs under to crawl..... is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some children are late bloomers though at 8 months he is still well within normal range
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• yes, he isn't ready. my daughter started walking on her own a day before her first birthday. Just keep strengthening his legs, encourage him to pull himself up on things and holding on to stand. he'll walk when he is ready. why rush it.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 2:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• He's not old enough! He will stand up and walk when he is ready. Often, even when babies are physically ready, it still takes time for them to realize they can. My 2nd son walked at 14 months. I swear he was capable of it for at least 2 months but it never occurred to him to try lol!
    Your baby will spend lots of time pulling up on furniture, and walking while holding onto things in the next few months. Sit back and relax and be glad your 8 month old is not interested in walking! Let him crawl for as long as he wants, before you know it you won't be able to keep him down.
    Post back if he is still not walking at 18 months. That is when it will start to possibly be a concern.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• it is perfectly noraml.one thing thatr parents have to remember is even though we want our kids to learn all these new things they will do it on there own when they are ready.every child develops differently and at their own rate.my son didnt take his first step until he was 11 months old. just be patient and keep practing with him.he will learn and catch on.you are doing everything right.when he get s a few months older and he still shows no signs and you get really concerned i would bring it up the the dr.
    sand2mc85

Answer by sand2mc85 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Totally normal... My son didn't walk till he was about 14 months, and now I sometimes wish he'd STOP running around! 8 months is still very young, he's probably just not ready. Don't force him, he'll start pulling up and cruising when he's ready, and then before you know it, he'll be running around like a madman :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Its totally normal. I dont know many babies who can walk at 8 months or even be wanting to. He should have the abilit to tighten his leg muscles when you hold his hands and stand him up, though. Get down on the floor with him and try to stand him up. Its within the normal range for him to take as long as 18 months to walk. Don't rush it; enjoy his babyhood while it lasts; once they start walking, its a whole different ball game, lol. When he is physically ready to walk, he will. Nothing you can do will change that. And FWIW, my boys started walking at 10.5 months and they weren't full time walkers (walked and crawled) until about a week after their first birthdays. Now with DD, she strted walking a few days after her first birthday, and now, a coupe of weeks later, she is walking full time....
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• he's only 8 months old!

I have only met one that was that young and walked....

mine were 16months, 12 months and 10 months.

stop pushing! you're only stressing yourself out.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• well he pulls himself up and walks around furniture, but the second i stand him up with my hands he colapses to crawl
    Anonymous

• and im not pushing!
    Anonymous

• don't worry, and don't rush it. they walk when they are pysically and mentally ready.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010