my sister in law lives 4 hours away and is having a baby shower in a bar I dont drink should I go or just mail her a gift

hoterheather

Asked by hoterheather at 2:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• is this the same SIL that you don't want at the birthday party?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I would mail a gift.
    Anonymous

• are you in recovery? otherwise maybe you can just choose to NOT drink and celebrate her coming child with her and ignore the surroundings/.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think it would be disrespectful not to attend w/o a legitimate reason. You don't have to drink to attend ANY kind of gathering. Also, Applebees is a BAR and grill, but I still consider it a family resturant. Google the place to see if its really family friendly.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you can't go. It is a rather odd place for a baby shower, but to each their own. Hopefully she won't be drinking either. I suppose this will hinge on whether or not you two have a good relationship or not. But just because you are in a bar does not mean you MUST drink alcohol. You can just as easily have orange juice or a soda.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I've been at baby showers in restaurants that served drinks during the showers. But they've been restaurants with bars like TJFridays, Applebees. Do you mean its in a dive bar?

If the place is not your style just say you're not feeling well and give a gift thru the mail.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• You are posting this under Religion & Beliefs so am I to assume you don't believe in drinking? I don't understand the hesitation in going if this is the case, or otherwise, really. (Jesus turned water into wine.......) Just because it is at a bar, doesn't mean there will be any drinking. I mean, she's pregnant right? I would assume she won't be drinking.....

If you don't like her, don't go....but because "it is at a bar", is certainly a poor excuse to not go.

Baby showers mean SO MUCH.....1. because the needs/wants are so great when expecting, and 2. because the baby deserves to be welcomed into the world with much CELEBRATION and WELL-WISHES.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It depends on the situation. If you don't like this person, then don't go. If you're not going just because you don't drink, then that's silly. Just because it's a bar, doesn't mean you have to drink.

Anonymous

• go
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It is up to you ... If YOU are not comfortable going to a bar (which I personally think is NOT the proper place for a baby shower)
    then send the gift to her with a note with your feelings on it... also do you think it will cause hard feelings with in the family if you do not show up??? You do not have to drink at a bar... if that is what you are also worried about...
    Ultimately it is YOUR choice...

GL
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2010