really important question..about father's rights

my son is almost 9 months old...me and his father were never married and he wasn't around at all throgh my pregnancy. since october he has been able to get visitation and has only seen him about 5 times. he lives in nevada and i live in utah. on friday i got court papers saying he wants my son's last name changed to his last name. i don't want this to happen for many reasons but the most important is that i gave birth to him, the father didn't help out and only filed for paternity after he knew the baby was born. does anyone out there know the law in utah and if there's a good chance the courts will order that the baby's last name be changed??

mel1085

Asked by mel1085 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• The father does have the right to request it. Yes it very well could happen. If he is the father it is a pretty good chance it will.
    You should talk to a lawyer tho, not cafemom .
    A lawyer is your best bet
    Anonymous

• Id talk to attorney but if you are dead set against it, it probably wont happen.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I do have a lawyer and he's researching it, he's never had this happen in any case he's dealt with so he's not quite sure yet.
    mel1085

Answer by mel1085 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• In Utah, if you aren't married, the father doesn't hold a lot of clout to be honest. If you fight it and contend that his name should remain the same, I think that most judges will side with you. Maybe you can settle with the father and say that you will keep his name the same as your last name but when the child is 16, if the child wants to have the father's last name, you will agree to change it at that time.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• What lawyer are you using? Some good ones are....Greg Hawkins, Marilyn Moody- Brown, Larry Jenkins, Paul McArthur. Most will give you a free consultation.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• his name is kevin bond
    mel1085

Answer by mel1085 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2010