breastfeeding after c-section

I know I will be doped up for the procedure, I really wanted to breastfeed ASAP after the delivery if it was possible. How long till I can breastfeed after a cesarean?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did right away. They take the baby for a few hours while you are in recovery. When they bring her to you, you can nurse.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• For each of mine it was several hours cause the abdomen was cut open and I was unable to sit or lean back and nurse. Try talking to your team about not receiving pain meds past the surgery anesthetic until you say so.

The day after my third section I was much much better than even the day after my second baby's birth.

You can also try calling La Leche League. They have breast feeding liasons and might be able to direct you to specific post c section surgery pain killers to take away the pain but enable to you breast feed earlier rather than later.

I know personallly some moms who have had good second deliveries or thirds after an emergency section by delivering with an ob group that has midwives as part of them. They found great comfort in the personal attention of a midwife but had great backup if necessary from obs in the practice.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• as soon as you are stitched up and in your room. won't take long at all.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Tell them you're nursing...you won't be doped up. They'll only give you a spinal and you'll be able to nurse instantly.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I nursed in the recovery room with both of mine. As soon as I was stitched up and rolled out of the operating room they handed me my baby. It actually helps to slow the bleeding faster bc your uterus contracts more from the hormones released when nursing. I was not doped up at all with either of my kids. I had an epidural with one and a spinal with the other-that was it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I was pretty out of it, but they did bring my son to me in the recovery room. I was able to nurse right away. Then they took me to my room where I was able to pass out...lol!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i love this website!!!! and here is a page concerning c-section and breastfeeding

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concerns/c-section.html
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• good luck with that. they wouldnt let me for 8 hours after i fed.

best of luck with your C.
    Anonymous

• lol.. by fed i mean had my C.
    Anonymous

• I was bfeeding within the hour after the csection while we were in the recovery room.

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2010