How long do you cook a whole chicken for?

I have a recipe for chicken that says to cook it for 1 hr and 15 minutes, but it calls specifically for a 3 lb bird and mine is 4.25 lbs (Which I am rounding down to 4 lbs because it had the giblets inside). I am thinking of adding another 15 - 20 minutes to the cook time, is that right?

I have a meat thermometer, but it always gives me CRAZY readings, either I'm not using it right, or the thing stinks. I know it's supposed to be 180 degrees inside, but I never get that reading.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The rule is 20 minutes per pound...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• make sure the juices run clear and the joints move easily. Also purchase an instant read thermometer. they are under 10 bucks and very usefull!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yea I agree it's 20 minutes per lb.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I roast mine in the oven at 475 for 20min per lb. Makes it crispy skinned and tender and juicy on the inside (I cut a lemon in half sqeeze the juice inside the bird and stuff the rinds inside.. helps with moisture!)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 5:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I cook mine for like 6 hours - either in the oven or in the crock pot - either way, I coat it with olive oil, put on the herbs/spices I like, add a bit of water, cover with foil if it's in the oven and bake at like 250 for a couple hours then 300 for a couple more, or on low in the cp for a couple hours then on high for a few more. Always moist, tender, and delish! I've never followed a chicken recipe and I would never cook a chicken for only a little over an hour.
    Anonymous