Labor: how bad was it?

We all seem to have some sort of an idea how labor was going to be then we get to that point and it's sometimes not as we thought it would be.

Was it worst, better or as you thought?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 3:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It was more painful, because I had my water broken and given pitocin at the same time. I still got no epidural, so, it is tolerable. It was all back labor. It only lasted 7 hours and 2.5 pushes though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I was in labor for 13 hours then ended up with a c-section. I got an epidural.....it was not as bad as I thought it would be...the c-section was easy but the recovery took a long time.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Well I knew it was going to hurt like crazy. The thing that surprised me was the ring of fire. I know it would hurt but did not know it would be that bad.
    Anonymous

• i cant imagine going through it without an epidural. But I know you can. Really, when your in it...there is not much you can do to change your situation...I mean...baby has gotta come out..lol

I would describe it as a period type of pain...but MUCH MUCH worse. Once I had the epi I was fine. just felt like pressure..but not bad.
    Anonymous

• Granted, I've had epi's with both of my deliveraries, but before the epi the experiencses were markedly different. With my oldest, my water broke and with my second (I'm currently expecting #3) they didn't break my water until after my epi. Having the bag of waters intact made the second labor much less painful. Even with labor with my oldest, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

Also, just from talking to my friends, it sounds like the fact that I work out throughout my pregnancies has made a huge difference. The muscles still had tone and were much more efficient at moving labor along.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 3:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I was in labor for around 12 hours with my first. The contractions woke me up, I'd been ucomfortable when I went to bed only I imagine that was the beginning of my labor. I just thought it was more discomfort from being pregnant. The contractions felt like mentrual cramps only 100 times worse. I asked for my epidural sooner than I thought I would. No amount of reading or asking questions could have gotten me prepared for labor.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• When it first started it was nothing to even blink at. Totally bearable. Then as it went into full labor it was seriously painful. To the point of me not being able to handle it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My son's labor, I hardly knew I was in labor until the last hour or so, after the idiot OB broke my membranes. His labor was just over a day long.
    My daughter's labor was about half as long but three times more difficult.
    I did both naturally and my daughter was actually semi accidentally born at home.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 4:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think having a kidney infection is worse. It's pain you can't get away from. Although my L&D went quickly and I did it without drugs, it was still bearable. Yes, it hurt but it was going to be over & I knew that. I think trusting in yourself & relying on coping skills will help with the pain.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• WAY more painful than I ever thought imaginable. Know there are those mammas that can do it w/ no drugs but not this mamma!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010