I tried searching...

but how much is it to file for a divorce in SC? I want to do an uncontested divorce but my H already said that he was going to try to contest it. BUT just in case he gives up and changes his mind, where is a website that I can look at that can tell me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Try just searching SC Legal Divorce in Google or something similar..... I am going through Nevada Legal Divorce for my paperwork.....they have made it so easy! I love it!
    Anonymous

• Go to SC's government website. That is the first place you should go for any legal information about your state.
    It should be Southcarolina.gov -
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Your county government site should have all the forms free to down load and print. There is a filing fee. It should be listed. There may be a service fee. Most states do not allow you to serve divorce papers yourself. In GA it is $25 for the police to serve. If the county govt website is not helpful, call the clerk of courts office in the morning. They can tell you the filing and service fees.

Contact your local women's resource center/ women's shelter. They can give you information on lawyers who may take your case pro bono.

Also, there may be temporary orders that you need to file with your divorce-- they handle things like who lives where and where the kids go.

If there are children involved, the court may provide you with a free mediator to help you discuss custody issues. The clerk can tell you if this is available. This mediator does not represent you or him.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Call the courthouse for your county or look for their website. The fees should be posted.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010