Sedate my baby for MRI?

My son is being referred to the local hospital for an MRI. He is 7 months old and is 19.5 lbs. The lady I spoke with in the MRI dept. said that I would be prescribed an oral suspension to give him before his test. Does this sound right? I, as an adult, have had dozens of MRIs (sports clutz) and since it is an outpatient procedure IN the hospital, wouldn't you think THEY would be the ones giving him the meds? Maybe she had her facts backwards or I misunderstood. If your LO ever had a sedated MRI, who gave the meds? We were originally supposed to go to a Children's hospital, but insurance authorized the local hospital since they do the procedure as well.

FoxyRoxyMommy

Asked by FoxyRoxyMommy at 3:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had sedation before a dental procedure not for an MRI. but it is a little drink that makes them sleep. but I thought they didn't let the parents give the meds anymore. if you are the one giving the meds their only reason would be so your LO would already be asleep.

shoutingMOST IMPORTANT:if you are giving the meds make sure you have someone go with you, you or the other person MUSTsit in the back seat with the baby to watch for breathing and to make sure their airway stays open. the problems that happen with this is the child's head will fall it one side or the other and can closes off their

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No , you understood right. He needs to take it before the time to give it time to get into his system. They give you the meds to give to him. :) I'm sorry you have to go through this.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had an MRI last year she was three at the time and they put her to sleep at the hospital not me.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• maybe they'e just giving her something that will relax her rather than put her completely out? In that case the medication info will probably instruct you to give it to him an hour before the procedure or so...good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Both of my children have autism, and when my now 8 year old had to have some dental work done, and they needed him to be calm and relatively still during the procedure, I was given a prescription for a mild sedative (just made him "loopy" it didn;t knock him out), and told to administer it to him approximately 1 hour before the appointment. They want you to administer the sedative at home, because there is no sense in having them administer it, and then have an antsy baby waiting around for an hour or so until it kicks in. It would be easier to have your child already sleeping/sedated when he arrives, so the procedure can be quickly conducted. It is imperative that your baby be perfectly still during an MRI, or it will be ineffective. Hope this helps!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• airway. there has been reports of children suffocating before they get to the Dr office. you could try to call and tell them this makes you uncomfortable and your willing to show up early so they can give it.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• im just not a fan of having to give a suspension to my son that puts him in any state of sedation. i hate giving tylenol or motrin bc im afraid he may get too much. ugh....why make moms the bad guys?!?! lol isnt it enough we have to suction screaming babies noses, hold babies down for shots, and take them to the scary hospital???
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 4:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My son had an MRI at 10 months and they gave him anesthesia there, which made him immediately unconcious. I wish I had been offered a mild sedative instead. There is less risk of complications with a sedative. If they gave you this option I would take it, so much safer and easier. No waiting for the sedative to take effect, no waiting for your child to wake up from the anesthesia. GL.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010