Naps? when? and how long?

Just curious, cause at the moment I let my little man run his schedule, but I make sure he has two naps a day cause he is a toot with only one... But at what age do they stop the morning nap? and how long is a typical nap? my son is 8 months and naps for an hour in the a.m. and 2 hours in the afternoon, wakes up at 6:30am goes to bed at 7pm ... it is working for us just wondering what age you go to 1 nap a day?

childofGod51509

Asked by childofGod51509 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Usually around 15-18 months they will decide one nap is all they need. You will know when this happens because they will fight to go down for one of their nap times or will only sleep for a short time and then get up. Back then my kids usually napped 1-3 hours depending on their mood.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• usually they'll start resisting one of thier naps. my daughter totally transitioned herself. just for an example, it was literally from night to day in one day. the day before she had taken two and the next day, she just kept playing and wasn't acting tired etc. they may start to sleep longer during the night, just to kinda even things out, and make up for the lack of two naps lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My daughter went down to one nap a day when she was 21 months old. She stopped sleeping in the afternoon so I dropped the morning nap & she started napping right after lunch. She is 4 now and still lays down between 1:30-2:00 and sleeps for 2 hours. they will let you know when they are ready for one nap! Enjoy the two naps while you can!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 4:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• They'll let you know, for sure... My child apparently has an aversion to napping (or really, sleeping in general). He went down to one nap a day when he was about 8 months old. Now, at 17 months, we're lucky if we get one 1-hour nap a day... He also seems incapable of sleeping past 6am, sigh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my son stopped 1 nap at 13 months and will still take a nap at 27 months old at around 1 for 1-3 hours. but he goes to bed at 8:30, doesn't fall asleep til 9:30 in his bed though.then wakes up at 5:30
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My twins moved to one 2 to 2 1/2 hour nap around 15 months of age, and at 2 1/2 they still take a 2+ hour nap every day. Naptime begins around noon (a little later on the weekend). They go to bed around 8:30 pm and get up around 7 am.
    Anonymous