How can I tell my dr. no flu shot?

I do not want to get the flu shot for my one year old but every time we go in they make me feel stupid for not getting it. They tell me I'm not educated enough and try to pressure me to get it for him and when I refuse they are rude the rest of the time, it makes me not want to get ANY vaccines because of how they act. Anyways what should I say to them when they try to pressure me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would educate myself and be able to give reasons why you don't want to vaccinate. Not vaccinating because it is the cool thing to do is not a good enough reason. Knowledge is power!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• switch doctors. they should be supporting your decisions as a mother, not taking over and making you feel dumb for them.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• change dr or just keep to your guns and say no! tell them that you have educated yourself but you don't want it.
    Anonymous

• i would say to them make a note in the chart that i am refusing the flu shot andif you keep bothering me about it i will switch doctors
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• just flat out say no. that's what i did. my doc just was like ok whatever. or just switch doctors
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• it is very simple- you have to justify nothing. period. never feel like you should. just say "no" and hold firm. if they press the issue, say very politely that "it is not up for discussion, this is my child, and I already stated that we will not be receiving this vaccine."

NEVER allow a Dr (who is, albeit an educated individual- not the child parent, and can not choose what is best for you, your child, or your family) to make you feel pressured. YOU are in charge of your healthcare, not them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Tell them. No flu shots for my kids, please note it in their charts and stop asking me. End of story.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 4:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Tell them that YOU are the mother and if they can't respect your decisions, you will find a new doctor.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 4:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• do your research, decide what to do, then stick by your choice-
    if they can't respect that find another doctor.
    Anonymous

• Switch doctors; you need to find one who is a better fit for your medical philosophy.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010