Starting out own business... any advice?

My husband is a commercial glazier. He has 10 years experience installing and now 4 managing projects. He has his contractors license and now a few jobs are lining up. I'm trying to get our business license and insurance all figured out and was just wondering if anyone had an advice... stuff you'd wish you'd have known, or tips... We're in CA if that makes a difference. THanks!

LeanneC

Asked by LeanneC at 4:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• get the business license first! lol

we're just working on getting our contracting business going - business license was easy, its the tax numbers and business numbers from the government that are the pain in the rear (but we're in canada so it may be different)

know exactly what you are going to be doing, your prospective income (before taxes), and all that.

don't do any work until you have all the official paperwork - we started and now have a few cheques waiting to get the GST number before we can cash it. D'oh!!

oh and congrats!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We applied for it back in december, but the clerk screwed up, didn't charge us enough and needed an extra form... so I've got to go down and turn in that stuff tomorrow. They didn't contact us to say they needed more info, so we thought it was just taking a while to process.

They won't be starting work for several months, but we do need to business tax ID to complete the bids he's working on now. This stuff is such a headache already! Oi!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• you don't need to hire a lawyer to create your llc if you can read and follow directions.dream big, plan conservatively!
    congrats & good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Feb IS afterall the month to begin your business...according to Legal Zoom.com Go there for info.

Be sure you have a solid marketing plan, plenty of cash flow for taxes and insurance etc

Join some chamber groups and local networking groups to help get the word out....study study study...read read read.

Write out CLEARLY what your goals are and WHY you are doing this...and stick to it.

I have a home based business and I love it. So I wish you the very best success!!!
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 11:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010