Palin Blasts Emanuel for Calling Dem Idea 'Retarded'

In a posting on her Facebook page Monday, Palin blasted Emanuel for calling an idea from some of President Obama's supporters "f---ing retarded" during an August meeting with liberal groups and White House aides.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that Emanuel made the remarks after some participants said they planned to air ads attacking conservative Democrats who were critical of Obama's health care agenda.

Emanuel reportedly apologized for the remarks in a phone call last week to Tim Shriver, CEO of the Special Olympics, which has launched a campaign to end use of the "R" word.

"Rahm called Tim Shriver Wednesday to apologize and the apology was accepted," a White House official told Politico.com on Tuesday.

So 1) Do you think his apology, such as it was, was enough? and 2) Who gets to choose who gets the apology? WHY the special Olympics guy?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Anything to keep herself relevant, I suppose. Considering he made this comment in August, she's now outraged? She is a private citizen now, so whether she thinks someone should be out of office is moot. She does not have a monopoly on that word. Is this going to be the David Letterman fiasco all over again? Does anyone really believe that she is the one writing these facebook updates? They seem coherent. Most of her sentences are run-ons.
    Anonymous

• Anything to keep herself relevant, I suppose

Funny you're more upset with her than you are with the guy who called someone a F'ing retard.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Sooo anon...leave PALIN out of this and try to focus on the ONE that SAID something stupid HERE. Do you think RAHM EMANUELS comments were ok? Do you think HE should get a pass on this? and do you think who HE chose to apologize too was ok? I guess some of you can think coherently when Palins name is brought up. Do you think HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE did anything wrong and should have to do more that a little apology to this person?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• lol, I am glad he apologized.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• He's a real klass act.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Who gets to choose who gets the apology? WHY the special Olympics guy?
    _______
    It was probably a safe bet to him because Tim is in contact with tons of handicapped, mentally disabled people. Liek I said I am glad he apologized. I am not going to scold him and rip him a new one for something I have been guilty off in which I felt I needed and in fact did apologize.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I get you Chrissy. I just always wonder that. They always apologize to SOMEONE and I wonder how they pick WHO! LOL. I do NOT think he should be fired but I AM a little surprised that this didnt get more coverage and more outrage. I mean, I realize that there are the semantics of the word and that it quite literally meant "slow" but when you say something is F-ing retarded thats pretty crappy and insulting and MEANT to be. Like I said....I wouldnt call for his job, but I dont think a back door apolgy to some random person connected with those with mental disabilities is enough....you know. This is a high ranking official and he should do better.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• leave PALIN out of this and try to focus on the ONE that SAID something stupid HERE. Do you think RAHM EMANUELS comments were ok? No.

Do you think HE should get a pass on this? No and he didn't. He's apologized and it was accepted.

and do you think who HE chose to apologize too was ok? Was anyone else asking for an apology? Who do YOU think he should have apologized to?

Do you think HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE did anything wrong and should have to do more that a little apology to this person? Are you done shrieking yet? Yes, what he said was wrong. He apologized. What else do you want him to do? Resign? Of course you do.

DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 5:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I can not believe Palin would get blasted for this. Typical.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010