Eggs after sell by date

I have some eggs that are about 6 weeks over the sell by date. If i crack them open and they smell ok is it alright to use then?

annonymous359

Asked by annonymous359 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't, eggs have salmonella & other deadly bacteria after they start to turn. 6 wks is too long, now if it was 6 days I'd say go for it. That's a month & 1/2, what other fresh foods do you know stay good that long?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I would think not. You better not take the risk.
    belange

Answer by belange at 5:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Ugh no I wouldn't.
    Anonymous

• Eggs don't intrinsically contain salmonella. The salmonella is passed from fecal matter from the hen to the egg shell. Then, if the egg is unwashed, the bacteria often gets mixed with the egg when the egg is cracked.

Store bought eggs are washed. 2 weeks after the sell-by date is certainly safe. 6 weeks could be pushing it as far as decomposition goes. If you crack one and it smells fishy, boil them for the dogs.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Speaking, of I've boiled eggs (prior to their "sell by" date, can I eat them AFTER their sell by date? (Like a week after)??
    Anonymous

• Float them. Fill a bowl or pan with water, and put the eggs in. If they float, toss them, if they sink, they're good. If they're somewhere between, toss em. I frequently use eggs past their sell date and we've never had any issues - I use the float test and it's always worked.

As far as how long to eat after they're boiled, I usually won't eat them after about 4 days...a week if I'm desperate! Definitely not beyond a week after boiling them. If the sell by date falls a couple days after you've boiled them, yes, they're fine to eat.
    Anonymous

• As long as they're refrigerated. To judge a egg and its age. When you crack open a egg if the egg cell is the size of a dime its a prox. one week old. If the egg cell is the size of a quarter then its a one month old egg.. Still useable if it looks and smells fine it should be. The egg dehydrates as the older it gets.We've used eggs for some time. Not to mention we have our own fresh eggs from our chickens. But do use boughten ones as well.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2010