Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to have somone admitted into a mental ward?

My mother in law was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder years ago. We have been living with her & my father in law for 2 years now,well sometimes she has flipped out and not took her medicine and been bad off for a bout a week and we all overlooked it (saying rude things,breaking chairs,making people up things like that) but once she was back on her medicine she was as normal as she usually is wich is not at all but you can deal with it. The past 3 weeks she has been taking her medicine like always,but is yelling at me making up stories say I slept with her husband and saying that my husband burns houses down that he killed the president,her psychic powers told her so!crazy stuff and she is getting to where we cant live with her all of us agree in the house but her husband says it costs to much money to have her admitted. My 2 year old daughter is in this house and the other day she put cooking oil in her bottle -continued


Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • There is a law commonly called the Baker Act that says a spouse or family member can petition a judge to hold someone for 72 hours of observation. It is very difficult to use this law and doesn't always work.

    If you were to call the police or the medics and let someone know that your mother is prescribed medicine but acting dangerously, I'm saying a 911 operator, and she is in the act of doing something that may harm her or others, then they will take her to the hospital. In most states she'll be there for 72 hours. Her regular doc will be called in once she is admitted and move to the nuero-psych ward.

    If you don't have insurance, the state may pay for this emergency treatment. If she has insurance, it's an emergency treatment and is charged very differently. Most likely, just a co-pay.

    Answer by ecodani at 5:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • denied it then admitted to it an hour later and said it was an accident she thought it was apple juice?? then she left shout spray that you use to get stains out down where she could get to it in her room and i found my daughter who i thought was playing with her toys with it and sucking it thank god i called poison control and they said it didnt hurt. I am worried about mine and my daughters safety and she refuses to go to a mental ward but needs help now and my husband wont move us out because of money issues. what do you think?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • you are likely gonna have to go to court to show a judge proof she is a danger. she takes meds someteims you say? so she must have a DR? call that Dr and inform him of her mental state. tell him you know he cannot actually DISCUSS it. hippa laws, but ask him to LISTEN

    Answer by sati769leigh at 5:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • You'll have to go about it legally.


    Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • she does take medicine all the time to keep her normal she has even called the law on us 3 times in the past week saying we are making bombs we threaten her and the cop said something like if everyone would agree to sign a paper saying she was a danger to other then the state would have her admitted to get help

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • also talk to hubby. cause if she gets physically dangerous to be around FYI for your CHILD? you may have tot call the police and an ambulance. and force the issue that way. no one would WANT to have to do that. BUT your child's safety has to come first.

    Answer by sati769leigh at 5:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • HONEY THEN DO THAT!! take them up on the offer. she could have POISONED your child! its not her fault. she is ILL. but your child has to come first

    Answer by sati769leigh at 5:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • and they have upped her medication and changed it and dont things like that in the past and it does not help,her mother is a skitso and her brother is freaked out as well and it runs in the family but I am afraid she is going to try to do something ot my daughter because she is mad at me from things being made up in her head.....i just dont know what to do we have her on recording saying all those crazy things and the police have heard it as well

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • then please call the pollice if you feel a real valid threat exists. dont wait til its too late

    Answer by sati769leigh at 5:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • If you are not their legal guardian you have to have them legally labeled as incapable to care for themselves and have yourself appointed their caretaker. In which case you are then able to make medical choices for them. Otherwise you can only ask that she go. But to be honest. I've been in the mental ward more than once. There isn't really much they will do that can't be done from home. They will give her meds and she'll see a therapist a few times a week... Otherwise, it's just a place to keep people out of sight...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010