birth control in the schools

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly, the public school system no longer educates on birth control.

Can anyone explain to me why they stopped doing so? when I went to school if the parents didn't want their kids learning about it, they pulled them out of the class- or for the discussion time.
But why stop teaching it all together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Abstinence-only sex education is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Teens need to be informed on their birth control options, where to buy them, how much they cost, how effective they are, and how to use them. I bet not many parents are willing to sit through that conversation without uncomfortable bias.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• you can thank former president BUSH for that one
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yeah, grand idea, isn't it? I mean, parents are already doing such a bang-up job educating their kids (and let's face it, parents SHOULD be the ones to do so), let's take away ANY chance kids may have of being actually informed on the subject... :|
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• oh gosh because parents thought they were the better teachers. and I think when we teach, we are but all parents don't teach selfrespect, responsibility, and compassion to peers and kids.

when i was a kid i went often to a museum that had a human fetus in a jar yet my parents never spoke to us kids of birth control.

I decided to talk openly with my kids because of what my parents didn't teach us plus I found the schools, as my kids have grown, don't teach what their paperwork says they will teach. Too much controversy.

I love my kids and will guide them through whatever life takes them on but yet I don't baby them and hide them from the world. They've grown hearing truth from me and they now two adults in midtwentyies, almost midtwenties, and a teen.

Parents have to raise their kids themselves and step up. If you don't teach don't complain.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It is not the school who should be teaching about sex. It is the parents who need to be doing that education.

Answer by louise2 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Parents should be, but, their not. They don't want their kid to hear about anything and want the school to teach them in health class, yet, get mad if they do. So, schools said the heck with it and stopped.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• the point of sex education in schools is so kids are EDUCATED equally. many many mnay parents out there NEVER talk to their kids about sex at all. how is that fair to THOSE kids
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• OP-Possible TMI-
    "It is not the school who should be teaching about sex. It is the parents who need to be doing that education." - SHOULD be, in theory- but are they really? I'm not trying to take such a experience away from parents, but how much have you old your kids or do you assume 'my kid wouldn't need to know that' - face it, sometimes the parents arent educated enough themselves! I had to inform my 50+ mother that Vaseline breaks condoms she told my younger brother to use it!
    I had to inform my 30+ brother in law that his daughter could start menstruating before the age of 15- I was 10!
    My SIL thought that you couldn't get STDs from oral sex, I knew a woman at the gym who thought that the only way you could get HIV was through transfusions-
    I had 20somethings i my class say that you can't get preg the 1st time!
    leaving it up to the parents is good idea in theory, but in reality it's just not working!
    Anonymous

• Blame former pres. Baby Bush on that one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• For OP....I taught my son all those things....SEX ED did not. He had some, but, it was useless. I had to talk about everything I could even come up with.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010