Questions for parents who homeschool.

I live in the state of California. I'm wondering what i have to do to homeschool a Kindergarten boy. How do i know that his education will count if later i decide to put him back in a public school? Where do i find the standards for what he needs to know? How many hours of work should i expect out of myself for his homeschooling? What other things should i consider before i make a final decision one way or the other? Any advice, tips, opinions, in put from your own experiences; etc?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 5:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kinder is not required in CA. Check the state standards so you know what to teach.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Same answer as I gave you on the post you made earlier.. You have to check your state laws. Join happy homeschoolers
    Anonymous

• Just put him in public school. He'll enjoy interracting with other kids his age.
    Anonymous

• Kindergarten is not required, so you don't have to worry about it "counting". Check into charter schools in CA. There are many that allow you to choose your curriculum. You get to homeschool and at the same time he is enrolled in a public school so he has the school record you are concerned about, and you have a teacher who will help to guide you. Here is a link to all CA charter schools with home school programs http://www.homefires.com/charter/

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• anon 16

he is in a public school. duh. and it's not working out. hence why i'm strongly considering homeschool. ...and i didn't ask for your opinion.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• anon 16

WELL YOU DIDN'T SAY HE WAS ALREADY IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL---DUH!

AND IF YOU DIDN'T WANT MY OPINION, THEN DON'T POST YOUR QUESTION IN A PUBLIC FORUM.

INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SHELTER YOUR KID FROM PUBLIC SCHOOL, WHY NOT KEEP HIM IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL AND TEACH HOW TO WORK OUT HIS PROBLEMS? HE CAN'T SUCK ON YOUR BOOB HIS WHOLE LIFE. CUT HIM LOOSE AND LET GO.
    Anonymous

• wow. are you always this angry?

I said he was a kindergarten kid. I think that's self explanatory.
    And trust me, i'm not the sheltering type. You clearly have some preconceived notions about parents who homeschool.
    If he was working through his problems i wouldn't be worried about the school kicking him out of kindergarten.
    Do you always assume so much?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• So you are going to teach him it's OK to quit instead??? Work with the school and your Pedi, maybe even a behavioral specialist if you have to .... but don't teach your kid that when the going gets tuff you just quit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I am working with the school. The child is on medical so the pedi doesn't do much and he has seen a behavioral therapist. ...
    any other suggestions anon?
    and how is homeschooling quitting? He would still have socialization opportunities but they would be better fit for his personality. Public schools are not very good places for kinesthetic learners. Especially here in the great state of California where education is ...oh number 47 out of all 50 states.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2010