Why is it the government's responsibility to teach its citizens about sex?

I always hear the debate about "abstinence-only education" vs "safe-sex education" and people go back and forth of what is the right thing to teach. When exactly did we decide it is the government's responsibility to teach us in the first place?? Shouldn't American citizens be smart enough to make their own decisions about sex? Shouldn't we all be capable of teaching our own youth when and how to have sex??? Or are we just that stupid that we need the government to step in and tell us how to live our lifes?
Why should it be up to the sleezy politicians? You know, the ones caught having affairs on their wives, or the ones caught sexting children, and those guys who hire prostitutes. I don't want them deciding what should be taught to my kids about sex.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Agreed
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• You're absolutely right, it SHOULD be taught by the parents. However, a lot of parents don't seem to feel the same way, so I for one am all in favor of at least SOMEBODY teaching those kids something, know what I mean?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It doesn't stop there OP. The government thinks they should be able to tell us how to live every aspect of our life, not just sex. We are on a fast track to communism because our citizens are all just too stupid to know how to spend their money, and how to live their lives.

eye rolling

Anonymous

• Sex education is EDUCATION. by teaching the basics in school they are ensuring an EQUAL educational opportunity for ALL children. its simpel as a parent with whatever belief system signing the paper and saying no the class. sex education classes dont teach children how and when etc. they are taught the mechincs and what COULD happen if no protection is used IE pregnancy and STDs

its not the sleazy politicians who dictate sex ed. its the SCHOOLS that do it.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Because in high school they teach about birth control and if they didn't there would be alot more births and diseases because kids are THAT dumb nowadays.There are parents who don't talk totheir kids about anything regarding their health.The classes in school are the only truth they get.You take hormones and put it with stupidity and its a deadly combo.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Of course parents are the ones who SHOULD talk with their children about sex and responsible behavior and birth control....but DO they? I don't think the Government is assuming the role of parentrs. They aren't going to come nto your home and teach your kids. That is up to YOU! But so many families are too busy or too uptight or not too smart and their kids are just left on their own with too much free time and no restrictions, and no self respect or respect for others. .
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• TMI- I'm not trying to take such a experience away from parents, but how much have you old your kids or do you assume 'my kid wouldn't need to know that' - face it, sometimes the parents arent educated enough themselves! I had to inform my 50+ mother that Vaseline breaks condoms she told my younger brother to use it!
    I had to inform my 30+ brother in law that his daughter could start menstruating before the age of 15- I was 10!
    My SIL thought that you couldn't get STDs from oral sex, I knew a woman at the gym who thought that the only way you could get HIV was through transfusions-
    I had 20somethings i my class say that you can't get preg the 1st time!
    leaving it up to the parents is good idea in theory, but in reality it's just not working!
    That's why! no, most people AREN'T smart enough to teach their own kids.
    I need to go thank my science teacher who was always in hot water for teaching us so much!
    Anonymous

• I do think it is my responsibility to educate my children about sex, and all it's aspects and consequences, both positive and negative. However, I do think that just like addition and subtraction, plate tectonics, American history, etc, sex is important to know about. Just because it's a parent's responsibility to teach their children doesn't mean they will. It used to be parent's responsibility to teach their kids EVERYTHING, and we were all ignorant or illiterate or both. We have so stigmized sex in our culture that many parents are simply too ashamed to talk about it in any detail with their kids. It's a cultural problem that has become huge. ALL kids need to know about sex, and so it's taught in schools. I support that.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Well with the questions that are asked on here. You can tell we are not educating enough.
    Anonymous

• The people least able to understand any given thing seem to be procreating just fine.

Spend any time on CM and you will witness that.

Uggggghhhhhhh.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2010