Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What steps do we need to take???

Ok so recently a family member was declared unfit and her kids were either going to be taken by CPS or family. . . Thankfully family stepped up to take the kids. . . Now the mother does not want them or can't take care of them in the future. . . I currently have the baby. But no official papers have been done. . . what do I need to do to get guardianship!?!?!?!


Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Adoption

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Talk to an attorney, and see what it would take to get custody of all of the kids. It shouldn't take much since she doesn't want custody anyway, allso as people say CPS and the courts will want to keep the kids together.

    Answer by MiddletonFamily at 9:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • wow for once i have no clue. but you are in a very very precarious situation. you cannot give persmission for medical treatment rirght now. i hope the baby doesnt get sick

    Answer by sati769leigh at 5:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Me too!! The poor kid has been through so much and now not only the parents can't take care of her, they don't want to either. . . Poor baby. . .we are more than willing, but have no clue what we need to do other than get the mom to sign over guardianship. . . we are in Wisconsin. . .if that helps people. . . where do we need to go, start, and what do we need to do. . ?????

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Who took the kids away from her? You said that she was going to have to give them to CPS or have family take the kids. Who made that decision? If CPS is involved at all....they are the ones in charge of supervising you as the children's parents until it can be finalized in court. It should be done through the State.

    Answer by hollyanne31 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • I would talk to CPS and see what they need you to do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • If at all possible, the siblings should stay together, then have been through enough without being separated. You should try to speak with an adoption attorney to find out if and what rights you have to the children.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • FYI if CPS can clear you to be a legal foster parent you can get some help through the state for taking care of her

    Answer by sati769leigh at 6:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • How many children are there? I know that if cps is involved they will want the children in a home where they can be together if that is possible.

    Answer by staceynoel at 8:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2010