HELP!!!!

I told my 12 yr old daughter that she needs to put away the dishes and clean her room,well she yelled at me and said she wasnt going to do that that she always gets picked to that chore, which I will tell you she doesnt! And even if she did I told her we all are going to have a weekly job that will be someones responsibility,just like its my responsibility to cook every night and she needs to stop yelling and complaining. I'm so frustrated and tired of fighting with her, the husband wants beat her butt cause she yells and stomps and slams her door. All we want is for her to say OK and do it. Am I asking to much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• correct her now! or your gonna have some major issues
    Anonymous

• nope not at all. my personal favorite for dealing with this age. remove all her extras. let her EARN back her radio, cool clothes and whatever else it is she likes and takes for granted. she cna make a choice and either respect you and your request thus slowly earning her THINGS back. or she can sleep in a nuns cell.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Remain calm. Just ask her which chores she wants to do. I put a chore chart up every week and let my adolescents pick their own chore but they had to do one. Do NOT hit the child. It doesn't teach her anything except mom and dad are big bullies. I can't believe dad even considered that. It bruises their spirit and makes them very angry. Adolescents are angry enough. Hormones are crazy in her right now. She's dealing with a lot so you and dad don't need to lose your temper with her. When mine would scream at me I would stop, look them in the eye and ask them if that is really the way they wanted to speak to me. That gave them a minute to realize what they did. I allowed them to rephrase in a calmer voice. The key is to not lose control.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• please dont let your husband yell and beat her butt. thats just going to make things worse.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Nope, you're completely reasonable. Respond to her yelling with calmness. It will drive her nuts, but also make her listen better. If she won't do it, then you stop doing things for her. She'll figure it out. Good luck and stay calm.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2010